PDA

View Full Version : Rough riding 0236

Brokedownmedic
08-22-2009, 10:19
:confused:
Hi: I'm new so this has probably already been covered. My 98 Suburban 6.5 with Fsd Heat Synch and K&N air, new EGR, and 110,000 miles has been acting up. Twice now, it has suddenly begun running very rough as if it had a miss. The first time it actually began belching smoke. Then it cleared up. I thought it was some bad fuel and added some fuel kleen and kerosene. Several hundred miles later, during a long trip, it happened again. This time no belching smoke but it took three hundred miles and another bottle of fuel kleen to clear it up. Both times the code reader showed 0236. I've also been having problems with the truck just shutting off after starting and being hard to restart. I just bought this truck and am a bit of a diesel newbie but fair with a wrench.

Brokedownmedic
08-26-2009, 18:03
I've done some digging on the search pages and it looks like I've got a wastegate sticking problem and possibly a sensor malfunction. Before I spend a bunch of money on parts and go tearing into this, what should I have on hand? A new sensor? A temp sensor? Maybe a solenoid? I'd hate to fix one thing only to have to go back in there again. Also, people keep talking about the Turbo Master. Can it be used with a stock PCM? Will it do me any good? Thanks

enormiss
08-27-2009, 04:36
Before I spend a bunch of money on parts and go tearing into this, what should I have on hand?

Do you have a boost gauge?
A vaccum gauge will tell you if it's the pump or solenoid.
A vaccum pump w/ gauge will tell you if it's the WG diaphram
Not sure if it helps, Here was my problem...
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=34950

Brokedownmedic
08-28-2009, 08:36
I took the plunge today and began working on the beasthttp://s598.photobucket.com/albums/tt65/lcritzer/ and found a totally custom air and wastegate operating system. None of the advice I've been able to dig up so far seems to apply. There is a big can type solenoid with a long arm hooked to the wastgate actuater. It has one vacuum hose coming out the back. The boost sensor and the stock wastegate solenoid are gone! The intake is hooked up through a hose to a can type EGR valve at one end and a K&N cone filter at the other. There are no brand names anywhere. Other than lubricating the wategate and cleaning the filter, I haven't a clue what to do next. I have a vacuum gauge on order.