PDA

View Full Version : oil cooler

JoeyD
09-11-2005, 15:36
As I was changing the oil in my Ford van today I notice it has a sandwich cooler for the oil instead of the grill mounted system. I have to ask why not have one like that on the 6.5 trucks? Keeping the oil cool is a job the factory cooler can hardly do, maybe both would be better.

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
09-11-2005, 16:02
I believe the Furds use a liquid/liquid cooler for cooling the oil. I think using the antifreeze to cool the oil would only add to the heat load on our already overworked cooling systems.

tom.mcinerney
09-22-2005, 07:56
Joey--
I agree both would be better [moderate temp rise in hvy traffic & low speed ; possibly also quicker lube oil warmup ]. The downside of a sandwich with liquid/liquid using engine coolant is that it complicates troubleshooting in case of cracked head/block, or headgasket.

ogrice
09-23-2005, 10:38
Here is an old racers trick to help the oil cooling that i've been using. Just like your radiator, if you can ensure that air flows thru the cooler and not around it, you will see lower overall temps. As most know, air, like water, will flow in the path of least resistance. Placing the oil cooler in the path of air does not ensure that the air will 100% flow thru the oil cooler.
I've taken off the front grill and hand made a baffle that surounds the oil cooler. I made as best as I could get it that there are no gaps for air to go around the oil coler. So far I've seen 10 deg. lower oil temps and 3-4# higher oil press.

Most of all, its cost me nothing.