PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine belt conversion questions

Mikey von
07-20-2009, 17:21
I have talked myself into wanting to do this swap. I am rebuilding this 6.2L and adding a banks turbo and lots of other goodies. I really want the d-max fan and fan clutch. I know I will need the newer style timing cover and a new water pump. I have a few questions.

I keep hearing that the serp setups put the AC on the passenger side and the Alt on the drivers. This is swapped from what I currently have, are there some years where the AC is on the drivers side and Alt on the passenger side?

What is involved if the AC and the Alt swap sides?

Will I have any major clearance issues with the banks turbo?

Do i need the newer style thermostat housing / crossover pipe or will the one from the 6.2L work?

Will my AC line fittings fit the new style compressor?

What Alt should I look for? I plan on adding a winch and a few lights in the future?

thanks!

EWC
07-20-2009, 19:56
Yeah , you will have clearance problems with the Banks . Look into a van serp. setup . I'm doing this swap and the alt is on the right side . AC , vac and pwr str are on the left side . I'm also running a 4L80E so I need the rear sensor for the RPM readings . The dual thermostat can be done and the brackets need a little " trimming " but it does fit . I have it mocked up now and could send you some pictures if you want .

More Power
07-21-2009, 10:42
I have talked myself into wanting to do this swap. I am rebuilding this 6.2L and adding a banks turbo and lots of other goodies. I really want the d-max fan and fan clutch. I know I will need the newer style timing cover and a new water pump. I have a few questions.

I keep hearing that the serp setups put the AC on the passenger side and the Alt on the drivers. This is swapped from what I currently have, are there some years where the AC is on the drivers side and Alt on the passenger side?

What is involved if the AC and the Alt swap sides?

Will I have any major clearance issues with the banks turbo?

Do i need the newer style thermostat housing / crossover pipe or will the one from the 6.2L work?

Will my AC line fittings fit the new style compressor?

What Alt should I look for? I plan on adding a winch and a few lights in the future?

thanks!

Up through the 1995 model year, the A/C compressor was located on the passenger side, then in 1996, the A/C compressor was moved to the driver's side and the alternator was moved to the passenger side (may be a better choice for a Banks turbo installation). The A/C compressor is different from what you have regardless of which style serpentine system you get, so you will need to produce a custom A/C hose assembly (not as tough as you might think).

Your original 6.2 aluminum timing cover will work fine with a reverse rotation 6.5 water pump, but you'll need the water pump backing plate to match the water pump. I have a few laying around if you need one (for just the shipping cost).

I'd get the matching coolant crossover for whatever serpentine system you're using if you're running the original 87-gpm water pump - or install the twin-stat setup along with the 130-gpm water pump. ;)

Jim

Mikey von
07-21-2009, 14:58
Up through the 1995 model year, the A/C compressor was located on the passenger side, then in 1996, the A/C compressor was moved to the driver's side and the alternator was moved to the passenger side (may be a better choice for a Banks turbo installation). The A/C compressor is different from what you have regardless of which style serpentine system you get, so you will need to produce a custom A/C hose assembly (not as tough as you might think).

Your original 6.2 aluminum timing cover will work fine with a reverse rotation 6.5 water pump, but you'll need the water pump backing plate to match the water pump. I have a few laying around if you need one (for just the shipping cost).

I'd get the matching coolant crossover for whatever serpentine system you're using if you're running the original 87-gpm water pump - or install the twin-stat setup along with the 130-gpm water pump. ;)

Jim

this is the kind of info I need. So I should look for a 96 and up unit to keep my alt on the passenger side and AC on the drivers. What year did they run the 130 gpm water pump and twin thermostat? Should I just look for one of those years and grab the water pump, backing plate, and twin thermostats also?

More Power
07-21-2009, 23:45
this is the kind of info I need. So I should look for a 96 and up unit to keep my alt on the passenger side and AC on the drivers. What year did they run the 130 gpm water pump and twin thermostat? Should I just look for one of those years and grab the water pump, backing plate, and twin thermostats also?

The HD/HO cooling system with the 130-gpm water pump and twin stats first appeared in the late 1996 model year. Finding the parts in a salvage yard, while possible, will require some patience and persistence....

Jim

Robyn
07-22-2009, 06:59
Keep an eye on ebay and craigs list for this sort of thing.

Many times folks are selliing off an engine and will gladly sell the accessories seperately.

I am assuming that this is an older truck (Pre 92 on the Burbs and Blazers and 87 or older on the pickups????

The 92-95 serp setup will work with the Banks turbo. The only thing you cant run is the belt driven vacuum pump (must use a rear mounted pump that goes in the oil pump drive hole)

I am not sure about the clearance on the later serp drive (96 up) the older ones puts the AC on the RH Side and is a lot cleaner install for the refrigerant lines.

Gets rid of all the cross over stuff over the top of the radiator.

Local AC shop can make new hoses or you can get the do it yourself pushlock and clamp type lines and fittings.

The early serp setup fits just lovely with the banks setup.
Here is a pix of my 93 sero setup on a 6.2 with the Banks turbo.

To do the HO water pump is a snap, the Dual stat Xover will require a little cutting on the alternator bracket and a trim on the throttle cable bracket.

Piece of cake and very obvious what to do when you see it.

You can do this without the Idler in place of the vacuum pump. I decided to go this way so that I could keep one spare belt on the shelf that will fit all the rigs, (94 Burb,95 DaHoooley and the 91 Burb with the 6.2 conversion)

I hate to need multiple spare belts. "The one size fits all is nice"

Hope this helps

Missy

Mikey von
07-22-2009, 07:35
Robyn,

So the AC fits next to the banks, nice!

Do i have to run the twin thermostats if I run the HO water pump?

914turboford
08-05-2009, 21:47
I've got a complete serpentine setup I'll sell for $250 shipped. Unfortunately, though, it is the pre 96 with the AC on the passenger side. It would include the water pump, AC compressor, Alternator, brackets, fan, power steering pump, thermostat housing, belt, etc.
Brian

Robyn
08-06-2009, 07:26
Thats a good deal for the entire setup.

Having the AC on the Passenger side is not a biggy though.
Takes a little bit of work on the AC hoses and you end up with a far cleaner setup all around.

The original 6.2 setup with the AC Pump over on the LH side ran a lot of tubing over the top of the core support and was really tacky looking.

Best

Robyn

350Tacozilla
08-12-2009, 19:34
not to steal the thread here but could you use serp pulleys on the water pump, crank and alt and just run the belt in the stock way? (no idler and the power steering still run off a v belt) my grandfather has a 1987 chevy c10 with 4.3 and it has serp style belt but ran in normal fashion and also has PS on a v belt

Robyn
08-12-2009, 20:08
Sort of hard to do a mix and match on these.

The factory serp setups are great. Hardly ever an issue with them and all takes to change the belt is a cresent wrench and a new belt.

Best

Robyn

Mikey von
08-12-2009, 22:15
I scored a serp setup from a 94, including all accessories minus the power steering pump. It has all pullies and brackets. I also bought from the same guy, the HO water pump w/ backing plate, dual T-Stat crossover (with new stats and hoses), and stock fan and clutch.

I am guessing I will need a new ps pump. Is this correct? What should I look for?

Mikey von
08-16-2009, 13:57
I am guessing I will need a new ps pump. Is this correct? What should I look for?

anyone know if I will need a new power steering pump?