PDA

View Full Version : Another 6.6 fuel injector question

Marc Miller
07-19-2009, 12:06
Bought this 03 Chevy 6.6 last week. It had a "blue smoke" problem the
first couple of days. The more I drove it, the more it cleared up.
The only thing I have noticed now is when I drive it about 20 miles,
it takes a minute for it to start smoking again. The smoke is grey and
has a strong diesel smell to it. Do you think it needs the injectors checked?
What is the fuel pressure supposed to be? The scan tool I used has it
from 38500 to 42800 kpa.
Thanks, Marc

DmaxMaverick
07-19-2009, 12:11
Welcome aboard, Marc!

It sounds like it could be injectors. Typical symptom, according to your description. The fuel pressure alone doesn't tell you anything. It can vary greatly (4K-23K PSI, depending on conditions, RPM, load, and APP position). What you need to look for is the comparison of desired pressure and actual pressure values.

Marc Miller
07-19-2009, 17:09
Thanks for the reply... I have read all the posts on the 6.6. I thought that
the injectors may be unloading at idle. The smoke is not that heavy.. just enough to see.. Now I have to find a dealership that is still open in this area.
I have always done my own work, restored a couple of '47-49 international gas burners (2 ton). What is the normal routine? Just pay for diags and hope warranty takes care of the rest? Truck only has 60k on it.

DmaxMaverick
07-20-2009, 03:21
Sign the paper that says you'll pay for the diagnosis. They test. If the repair is warranty, you pay nothing, including the diag. If they say no warranty repair, you pay for the diag, take the results and do something else. According to some techs as of late, just smoke is not enough to cause a warranty replacement of the injectors. Unfortunately, all your other warranties are out, except maybe the emissions warranty (check that one, they vary by state). If you have emissions warranty left, the injectors, or whatever is causing the smoke, is covered.

Keep a close eye on your oil pressure and level.

Marc Miller
07-21-2009, 10:47
Thanks Dmax, I will do that.. I dropped by one of my friends yesterday...
His son is a diesel mechanic. He looked at the truck and said that
it appears that the injectors are going bad. Unburned fuel coming out the exhaust. So, I will try to schedule a stop at the local dealer... again, thanks for the help.

convert2diesel
07-21-2009, 13:19
Marc:

This has nothing to do with your injector problems but by any chance do you know where one might find a full set of brake drums for a 47 KB3? Have been looking for a friend for over 6 months now and no luck.

Bill

DmaxMaverick
07-21-2009, 17:16
Marc:

This has nothing to do with your injector problems but by any chance do you know where one might find a full set of brake drums for a 47 KB3? Have been looking for a friend for over 6 months now and no luck.

Bill

I may be able to help. What's the serial number? Start a thread in the Members Forum -- There's a few of us old tractor gear heads hanging around.

Marc Miller
07-22-2009, 10:41
Started a thread on IHC in the members forum...