PDA

View Full Version : Difference in Sump pans

brighty
07-15-2009, 12:52
Just a quick one....

I've had a 6.2 conversion put into my 4wd here in Australia a while back but am looking at getting a bit more clearence over the front diff. The pan that's currently on it is shaped so that it's angled from the front of the block downwards to the bottom of the pan/sump bowl at the back.

I've noticed there's a different style that's flat at the front half of the pan running parallel with the bottom of the block.... then stepping down to the sump bowl at the rear. This is the type I'm after.

Can someone tell me the difference between the two and if there'd be any inherrant problems doing a swap???

Thanks,
Brighty

More Power
07-15-2009, 14:26
Just a quick one....

I've had a 6.2 conversion put into my 4wd here in Australia a while back but am looking at getting a bit more clearence over the front diff. The pan that's currently on it is shaped so that it's angled from the front of the block downwards to the bottom of the pan/sump bowl at the back.

I've noticed there's a different style that's flat at the front half of the pan running parallel with the bottom of the block.... then stepping down to the sump bowl at the rear. This is the type I'm after.

Can someone tell me the difference between the two and if there'd be any inherrant problems doing a swap???

Thanks,
Brighty

What you have is an oil pan designed for either a HMMWV or a marine application. These increase the capacity of the pan by at least 2 quarts, which is a good thing, but the larger pans don't fit in a pickup or Suburban - without mods.

You could modify what you have or try to get a GM pickup pan....

Jim

brighty
07-19-2009, 09:31
What you have is an oil pan designed for either a HMMWV or a marine application. These increase the capacity of the pan by at least 2 quarts, which is a good thing, but the larger pans don't fit in a pickup or Suburban - without mods.

You could modify what you have or try to get a GM pickup pan....

Jim

Hey Jim,
what sort of mods am I looking at to retro fit one of these other sumps??? Or what are the main differences. From pics I've seen, they look the same, but never had the chance to compare them up close and personal.

Brighty.