PDA

View Full Version : Remote cooler needed with new PMD?

Yesterday
07-14-2009, 19:42
Replaced PMD on my truck with the new Stanadyne model. Do I need a remote harness and cooler with this one? For now it's on the pump.

Burning Oil
07-14-2009, 21:48
Its not required, BUT highly recomended. I am the only one making these cables for the new Stanadyne right now. My cable comes with the correct gold plated pins. $75+shipping.

Robyn
07-15-2009, 06:53
Bottom line

The PMD is a sensitive electronic device with two large power transistors inside along with other circuitry.

Heat is the biggest enemy of these components. Now the temperature down in the engine valley can reach very high levels during hot weather and unacceptable levels even in normal temps.

Getting the PMD out of that Hell Hole is the only way to preserve the integrity of the unit.

No matter how good the new PMD is, relocating to a cool spot with plenty of good airflow is a MUST DO.

Makes no difference if you use a "NEW" Stanadyne PMD,a Dtech or whatever. A cool location with airflow is the answer.

Been around these things since they came out in 94. Nothing but greif until the idea of relocating finally came about.

Get the new cable and a remote mount. :)

Yesterday
07-15-2009, 19:19
Ok, will get a remote cable and heatsink. The tech doing the job wanted to sell me one, but he wanted to stick it on the intake manifold. Think I read somewhere here that is not a very good location, told him no.

The truck starts instantly now, and has a lot more zip.

Thanks for all the good info, this place is priceless for all the help you get.:)

Burning Oil
07-15-2009, 19:43
Good move! a PMD mounted on the manifold is a bad idea. If your going to do that you are better off leaving it on the IP.

Let me know if you want that cable.

Leroy

Yesterday
07-17-2009, 20:20
Leroy, left a message on your website re: cable and heatsink combo.
Thanks.

Burning Oil
07-18-2009, 07:36
Leroy, left a message on your website re: cable and heatsink combo.
Thanks.

Hi Ken, I got you message. I sent you a reply with the pricing. Thank you.

dreese_us
11-17-2009, 17:48
I plan on getting the extension cable and pmd for my 96 K2500. What resistor do you recommend for the 1996 6.5?

JohnC
11-17-2009, 19:20
Teh right answer is "same as what's in there now". the resistor matches the pump, not the pmd. A scanner can tell you what's in there if you can't see it. Or, put a #5 and forget it...

dreese_us
11-17-2009, 20:13
Thanks, dealer put a new pump in before the warranty ran out, so I don't know what resistor it has. This will be the first pmd since the complete pump, fourth pmd since I have owned the truck. Always happens shortly after towing my 30 ft trailer. The pmd did seem to up a little longer after upgrading the cooling system. I will try the #5.
Thanks, Don

Robyn
11-17-2009, 20:44
I like having a spare PMD known to be good, mounted on a little finned cooler up on the top hat. Just in case your good one thats mounted down under or ??? where its real cool fails. A quick trip out front and swap the connector from the extension over to the spare PMD and your going.

Time required, about 30 seconds :D

My main one on the Burb is down under on the inside of the front guard.
Not handy to get to quickly on a cold and wet night.

I have an Old SOL D unit up top and can switch the plugs in a hurry with just the underhood light to show the way.

Having a spare mounted on a manifold type cooler and tossed in the glove box along with a wrench is good too.

Missy