PDA

View Full Version : ronniejoe, I have another K30/35 frt/ifs diff question

DA BIG ONE
02-03-2006, 11:46
I've need to know the proper adjustment for the ring & pinion lash which is adjusted via the carrier bearing adjuster in the front IFS K30/35 differential.

Thank you,
DBO

[ 02-03-2006, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: DA BIG ONE ]

AndyL
02-03-2006, 12:34
IIRC, 0.007" to 0.010" backlash.

DA BIG ONE
02-03-2006, 12:50
Originally posted by AndyL:
IIRC, 0.007" to 0.010" backlash. AndyL, I'm a dummy when it comes to this for the front differential, so how do I measure it at the adjuster? Is it like tighten the adjuster nut until it stops, then back off, or?

rjschoolcraft
02-03-2006, 14:00
The book says that backlash should be 0.003-0.010 in. with a preferred specification of 0.005-.007 in. The carrier side bearings must always have a pre-load. The adjusters have "notches" with a little metal tab to lock in place. The pre-load should be one "notch". If you're starting from scratch, this will be tricky without measuring tools.

If the pinion depth has not been disturbed and you are starting from scratch on the carrier placement, you can get there as follows:

Back the left adjuster sleeve out most of the way. Now run the right adjuster sleeve in until the pinon and ring gear are in tight mesh. Don't over tighten here, just bring them into double flank contact and stop. Run the left adjuster sleeve in until it just makes contact. Tighten it one "notch" to establish the pre-load on the carrier side bearings.

Now set the backlash by moving each sleeve in equal increments. Each notch should be about 0.003 in change in lash. So, from the tight mesh position we are currently in, turn the right sleeve out two notches and turn the left sleeve in two notches. This should make the lash approximately 0.006 in and right in the middle of the spec. Feel it by hand to ensure that it is not way off.

If the pinion depth is not right, these numbers are worthless.

Hope this helps.

DA BIG ONE
02-03-2006, 16:48
I'm talking a front IFS clam shell differential for K30/35 series (1997 through 2000) this is what is in my burb, has only a driverside adjuster called a carrier bearing/lash adjuster which is adjusted from outside case on driverside and the axle flange goes through the center of it, and now I am even more confused than ever.

[ 02-03-2006, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: DA BIG ONE ]

rjschoolcraft
02-03-2006, 18:06
Yes, that's what I'm talking about as well. There has to be adjusters on both sides, otherwise you create end play in the side bearings.

To set the lash, you must move the carrier from side to side, yet have pre-load on the bearings. In light duty differentials, this is done with shims. Take some out on one end and add some in on the other. With the heavy duty differential, the threaded adjusters do the job. However, you still have to take away from one side as you add to the other.

I have the same front differential that you do. What I wrote earlier was a paraphrase of the service manual text.

The adjuster on the right side is buried. The outer axle tube must be removed and the output shaft as well.

DA BIG ONE
02-03-2006, 18:19
Originally posted by ronniejoe:
Yes, that's what I'm talking about as well. There has to be adjusters on both sides, otherwise you create end play in the side bearings.

To set the lash, you must move the carrier from side to side, yet have pre-load on the bearings. In light duty differentials, this is done with shims. Take some out on one end and add some in on the other. With the heavy duty differential, the threaded adjusters do the job. However, you still have to take away from one side as you add to the other.

I have the same front differential that you do. What I wrote earlier was a paraphrase of the service manual text.

The adjuster on the right side is buried. The outer axle tube must be removed and the output shaft as well. Ok, It took me awhile but now I finally understand.
Thanks again

rjschoolcraft
02-03-2006, 20:01
You're welcome! :cool: