PDA

View Full Version : Another Shudder Thread, little different though

Magnum97
07-06-2009, 14:38
1996 K1500 with the 9.5" semi-floating 14 Bolt diff.
about 3 weeks ago i had a need to test my reverse lights, but no one to assist me. so i put the e-brake down, and put it into reverse, however i didn't have the pedal pushed down far enough and it moved backwards. i proceeded to push the pedal down all the way untill it stopped rolling so i could get out and check the lights.
after that the truck developed a shudder, starting at 75 km/h going untill 110 km/h (ish) after that speed it seemed to smooth out a little. i needed to go into town so i just ignored it on my way in, and once i was done my buisness in town, i drove home, and the shudder was gone.
well its back.
I believe it has something to do with the brakes, as the drivers side drum barely came off, and there was a very large ridge on the outside edge (furthest towards the diff.) which was blued as if it had over heated.
I turned the drum smooth, and loosened the self adjuster wheel off, however it is still present.
any ideas?

a5150nut
07-06-2009, 18:43
Not to be a Sm*** A**, but wouldn't the backup lights work in reverse with just the ignition on, not running? Where I work I back in to park and use the window of the building to check my tail lights all the time.:rolleyes: And the back of a shinny SUV works for the front end.:D

crashz
07-07-2009, 15:11
I had a similar problem on a ford. When the truck was on the highway, an intermitent shudder that nearly sent the truck out of control would occur. Slow speed and side roads, nothing at all.

After going through the rear end, I finally discovered that the E-brake was hanging up enough to heat up, expand and chatter the brakes. Loosened it up and all was well again. When the truck was jacked up, I could not feel any resistance, hence I ignored the brakes initially.

I'd check the cable on both sides to make sure its releasing properly (did you only check the driver's side?) and re-adjust the brakes correctly.