PDA

View Full Version : top radiator hose!!??!?!?

frenchcreole
07-03-2009, 19:15
Help guys.....I have a 2003 GMC Duramax (Great Truck). I have owned it since new and now have 110,000 miles on it. I changed all hoses, upper ,lower radiator hoses flushed the system with distilled water changed the heater hoses too. Truck is running cool and the coolant/antifreeze is filled appropriately in the side overflow "tank". Ok...now that you all have the info, when my truck sits over night, in the morning,the top radiator hose collapses and when I "burp" the over flow tank the top radiator hose expands to its normal shape. I have never noticed this prior to changing the hoses and I called the dealership parts dept to order a new radiator cap thinking it may not be venting, but the parts dept manager said this is common with all Duramax trucks. Somebody please reply if anything is known about this.....thanks in advance.

Dawg
07-03-2009, 19:56
My 2002 does the same thing. IIRC there have been several responses in the past from our more experienced members....normal.

jbplock
07-04-2009, 06:30
A collapsed hose could be caused by a faulty cap .. see the following threads ..

Collapsed upper radiator hose ???? (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=10329&highlight=collapsed+hose)

DMAX upper radiator hose collapsed (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=13488&highlight=collapsed+hose)

Also, if you haven't already, check if all the air is purged after the flush. With the engine running at operating temp, set the brake and place the transmission in neutral. Then cycle the engine up and down to about 3000 rpms. As rpms are cycled the level in the coolant tank should stay the same - if it drops, there's still some air - add coolant and repeat until the level stays the same ..

:)

Inspector
07-04-2009, 13:07
I had 3 bad rad caps on my 03. I like the others think that it is none issue.
Dennis

Inspector
07-04-2009, 20:49
Just after I posted I went out and opened the hood on the Seneca (C5500) to look at the upper rad hose. It was colapsed. I looked inside the cap and the valve in the cap was lodged against the side of the well in the bottom of the hole. It was tight and in that position would not have equalized the pressure. As soon as I moved the valve away from the side of the hole it became loose and would in my opinion have worked properly. It seems that there is a design flaw that there is a shoulder in the bottom of the hole that can trap the valve and lock it. Just my two cents. I still think that it is a non issue that isn't detrimental to the operation of the cooling system.
Dennis

NutNbutGMC
07-06-2009, 14:26
Just after I posted I went out and opened the hood on the Seneca (C5500) to look at the upper rad hose. It was colapsed. I looked inside the cap and the valve in the cap was lodged against the side of the well in the bottom of the hole. It was tight and in that position would not have equalized the pressure. As soon as I moved the valve away from the side of the hole it became loose and would in my opinion have worked properly. It seems that there is a design flaw that there is a shoulder in the bottom of the hole that can trap the valve and lock it. Just my two cents. I still think that it is a non issue that isn't detrimental to the operation of the cooling system.
DennisIIRC this was discussed and confirmed as a resolution to said problem way back in the early 2000s. With general concensus, I'd say this is still a valid point.

$0.02