PDA

View Full Version : Service 4 wheel drive message

chambie
07-03-2009, 06:08
Last night i recieved a message in the DIC saying to service 4 wheel drive. I had the truck locked in at the time. Truck has 76,000 on the clock and i changed all the fluids in febuary at around 69,000. Does the DIC generate messages at certain milage intervals ? Haven't had a chance to look in the book yet, thought i'd run it by you guys first. Thanks !!

Lindsay

DmaxMaverick
07-03-2009, 09:18
There is no "Service 4WD" interval, like oil or fuel filters. Something's amiss. On earlier models, it was most often the button cluster (easy, inexpensive repair). Not sure on later models (2006+). There won't be a PCM code, but may be a code in the BCM (need a Tech II to read it). Check/clean the connectors, at the button cluster and at the TC. Could be a glitch in a stepper motor, or the motor may have responded slower than expected. If everything still works, it's probably not serious. It may be covered under your 100K drivetrain warranty.

chambie
07-03-2009, 15:47
Thanks Dmax... I'll look in to it. Everything is working. Been raining here for days, maybe just wet or muddy.

DmaxMaverick
07-03-2009, 18:23
Could be some moisture got into a connector. Tough call when it isn't broken.

crashz
07-06-2009, 08:05
I've had this message appear in my 1/2 ton a few times. It's usually triggered when a larger electrical load is applied while starting the truck. Often on the summer nights when I crank it over, roll the windows down, lights come on, radio on and fan blowing all at the same time. It will consistantly trigger if all the above functions are done at start-up, and will not trigger it if the windows (both) are not operated during start.

Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes resets the computer and all is well again.

More Power
07-06-2009, 13:07
Last night i recieved a message in the DIC saying to service 4 wheel drive. I had the truck locked in at the time. Truck has 76,000 on the clock and i changed all the fluids in febuary at around 69,000. Does the DIC generate messages at certain milage intervals ? Haven't had a chance to look in the book yet, thought i'd run it by you guys first. Thanks !!

Lindsay

I've had this problem in my 01 Dmax and the wife's Tahoe. A new pushbutton switch solved both.... :)

Jim

chambie
07-06-2009, 17:48
Trucks been working good and hasn't displayed the message again. The electrical draw at the time may have been a factor. I was running the AC, had the lights and wipers on, and may have been opening or closing a window !! I don't have pushbuttons, it's a dial. Seemed to take the stepper motor longer than usual to engage the front end. BUT ... since that one time, it has locked in normally everytime. The weatherman was saying it has rained like 30 some days since May 29th. With only 10 or 11 days without it. so everything has been wet !!! I'd go nuts in Seattle !!

Lindsay