PDA

View Full Version : Tried to turn up injection pump and surprise!

Petrella
07-02-2009, 17:03
No allen screw when i took the governor assembly off. I rotated the engine and no screw???? The pump is a DB2 - 4554 on an 88 chev half ton, newer body style. Anyone know why? how do i turn up the pump?

dealwithit
07-02-2009, 22:18
i've been wondering how to do this but no one has any pictures, anywhere! anyone????? not even any instructions either :(

DmaxMaverick
07-02-2009, 23:33
Complete instructions with excellent photos are HERE (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/mrp400c.htm).

Petrella
07-03-2009, 15:36
Complete instructions with excellent photos are HERE (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/mrp400c.htm).

I printed this off before i even started the Job, thats why i knew what i was doing lol. But as I said i rotate the engine for a long time and that allen screw never shoes up in that hole. i rotated to the point where my arm couldnt stand it anymore and no sign of that screw

DmaxMaverick
07-03-2009, 18:15
If it isn't there, you're under the wrong hood.

It's there. Remember, the pump is timed with the cam, so it'll take 2 crank revolutions for one pump revolution.

Petrella
07-03-2009, 23:23
ok ill try again, maybe didnt rotate enough. my local diesel shop told me to take the little plate off the drivers side of the pump with the two screws and adjust it from there, but thats even harder with the intake in the way. I dunno maybe the light duty pump for the C engine, doesnt have that adjusting screw???????

convert2diesel
07-04-2009, 08:46
If you can find and old pump that is not attached to an engine, take it apart and all the bits can be easily seen. After you have seen how everything is situated, the job will be much easier.

I have found it easier to remove the govenor rod to expose the hole in the cam ring. Get a friend to rotate the engine while you peer knowingly into the cam ring. Drain the fuel out of the pump so you can get a clear view of the rotor. I use one of the new pen lights. Rotate the engine till the allen head is visable through the hole then use a small file and put a small notch on one of the flyweight arms for future reference. Adjust the allen key and put it all back together and your done.

Bill