PDA

View Full Version : 1989 6.2 Diesel Priming

Mr Bread Truck
06-25-2009, 10:36
Hi Guys,

I'm new to diesel;

Heres what I did just now.

>>My 89' 6.2 has the rectangular fuel filter behind the intake. I replaced it for a new one and I lost the prime in the fuel sytem. Is there a quick way to re-prime it? I need it tomorrow ugh, im an idiot for doing this. HELP!!!

I looked for the IP but don't know where it is. The truck is a Grumman P30 Kurbmaster so I can access the top / sides / front.

Thanks

Darren

DmaxMaverick
06-25-2009, 11:16
Welcome aboard!

I'll try to keep this simple. Your 89 van should have a mechanical fuel pump. Unfortunately, the only way to prime the system, without using external methods, is to crank the engine. If you haven't cranked it since replacing the filter, it isn't too bad. Once you crank, you push a lot of air through the entire fuel system, which takes time (and a lot of cranking) to get it out, and running again.

The best method I've found is to use a hand operated vacuum pump (with a catch-can). Remove the fuel filler cap, install the vacuum pump on the top bleeder hose or nipple at the fuel filter assy, open the bleeder, and pump until you get fuel in the catch-can. Close the bleeder and start like normal. It may stumble/stall a couple times (and puff some white smoke), but will start and run normally with less issues than any other method. You can accomplish a similar result by pressurizing the fuel tank (LOW pressure shop air), but it has inherent cautions of its own.

To do it "old style", remove the pink wire from the injection pump (pump is located in the engine valley, forward of the intake manifold plenum, behind the oil filler pipe/water pump, and the pink wire is the forward-most connector on the pump). This will prevent air from being pumped through the IP and injectors. Open the top bleeder on the filter, and crank until fuel is present at the bleeder. Close the bleeder, reinstall the pink wire, and try a normal start. It may stall, stumble, and puff white smoke, but it should start and run after a couple attempts.

Don't try to pre-fill the filter. Most of the fuel will spill out, and you won't gain any ground.