PDA

View Full Version : 6.2L diesel coolant...anything special?

AJMBLAZER
06-25-2009, 06:38
I swear I remember someone mentioning there was special coolant for diesels? Am I 'mememberin' things or what?
Maybe it was an additive?
...something about cavitation I think...

The Blazer recently started leaking out of the heater core so I'm fixing that this weekend. Figure a coolant flush is in order while I'm at it.

Anybody also know the part number for the correct thermostat at NAPA, AutoZone, or Advanced Auto? I normally go to NAPA but am local to all 3 and Advanced's heater core is almost $20 cheaper than anyone else's.

Lastly, how many gallons of coolant, regular or special diesel stuff, do I need?

Yukon6.2
06-25-2009, 07:39
Hi
You can use either the green or orange collered coolent,main thing is don't use tap water to dilute it.Get deionized destilled water to mix with the coolent,or get the premixed coolent.I'd guess you will need about 4 gals to do complete fill.
Thomas

Robyn
06-25-2009, 07:47
The trick stuff is just expensive is all.

Use a good quality 50/50 mix glycol based coolant.

IMHO the special stuff like ELC and such are a costly mistake for the little rigs.

The issue you refer to (To use in diesels) are based on the anomaly called cavitation errosion.

This issue is not a problem in the small cast blocks of our pickup engines.

The issue can be a real pain in the wet liner type engines where the cylinder sleve is replaceable.

Just fix the core, flush and fill with a good green juice

Robyn

AJMBLAZER
06-25-2009, 08:17
Thanks all.

4 gallons of coolant premixed coolant. Gotcha.

Wish I could fix it sooner than this weekend. Went from a little trickle the other day to soaking most of the "puppy pad" I put down during my 20 minute, 11 mile drive this morning.:(

Anybody know that thermostat part number? I've heard a lot of stories of guys getting SBC thermostats which are definitely not the right 'stat.