PDA

View Full Version : rookie needs advice on 6.5 power problems

4ells
01-25-2004, 17:10
i'm not a motor head, and ive only owned a deisel for 10 months. last march i bought a 94 chevy 1 ton with 6.5 turbo since i bought a new 28' 5th wheel camper. I paid 9500 for the truck, then 1 month into it i had to replace the waste gate, fuel pump, oil pump, and transmition. then 2 months into it the motor blew so I had the local chevy dealer order and put in a factory new gm 6.5. then i put in a power chip and k&n air filter. All this [21,000.00 or so} and i still cant pull my camper up hill on the interstate without bogging down to 40 mph. And if the wind is blowing i can only pull about that on a straight a way. I know that many of you guys out there know what I'm missing...please help.

thanks

Barry Nave
01-25-2004, 18:06
Who's power chip?
You can add chip, gain more boost and fuel flow but also you need a good Ex. system for any gains of power.
I would not power up with out a boost and Ex, temp gage :eek:
Timing is also a factor with TDC off set setting.

rjschoolcraft
01-25-2004, 18:56
See my post, " "Significant improvement in towing performance!" (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005059) for what upgrades gave me. Also, see my automatic signature.

These engines can be made to perform... It's a shame they didn't come from the factory this way.

4ells
01-25-2004, 19:26
Originally posted by Bnave95:
Who's power chip?
You can add chip, gain more boost and fuel flow but also you need a good Ex. system for any gains of power.
I would not power up with out a boost and Ex, temp gage :eek:
Timing is also a factor with TDC off set setting. thanks for the reply. what is a good ex. system? i dont wantto put a poor quality one on. and i dont know what a tdc off set setting is, please explain. thanks again

Barry Nave
01-26-2004, 03:43
TDC offset? This is set into the ECM by a tech II scan tool. I had to have a dealer do this at my asking. Normal TDC offset is around -.52 and by retiming the pump to a TDC offset learn program of -1.75 there is a good power gain though I also have the gear drive timing and not the chain set up. Chain set up can still use a TDC learn of around -1.52. The gear drive has a 4* of timing Adv. built in. At the same time I up graded to the 97+ cooling,high flow water pump and duel therm.stat cross over.
Adding power add's heat hench the gauge and cooling mod's also.
Many of the 3.5" and 4" ex. are good. Mine is the Banks system though I would now go with JK system, though now the system is no cat& Muff. Turbo down pipe to the rear is all mandrel bent and also the crossover pipe. :D
Years of Mods but a good start is Chip,Guage,Air filter and filter box Mods,Ex system.
At the time I was CKing for power the Banks system had all as a PKG.
;)

Dvldog 8793
01-26-2004, 04:07
Howdy
my truck didn't need a chip. The biggest gain I ever noticed was when i did the exhaust. REAL seat-of-the-pants power! I got the Keneddy pipes with NO muffler. Quality is great and the fit was good.
Where at "UP North"?
L8r
Conley

tom.mcinerney
01-26-2004, 19:05
4ells: If your radiator/condenser/oil cooler is clogged, or your exhaust is clogged, you could cook your new engine soon{and it wouldn't put out much power}. EGT/Boost/Trans gages a must if tow.