PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Heater Leak....and cure?

jeffscarstrucks
06-21-2009, 21:22
Hi, It has been a while since I have been on but I read when I can! I have battled the mystery leak for a few days until I searched here and had a look at the heater....fuel barely running down the wires and down the back of the block so thanks again to all who contribute. Now I am not sure if the part is available aftermarket or is it a dealer item only? I really am not sure of the over all value of the heater anyway and I removed the element from the cast aluminum housing and installed a 3/8 pipe plug in its place. If you have taken one of these apart it will make sense. I still have it on the bench and I am wondering if any has done this or if you all can see any reason not to proceed (obvious loss of heater aside). Thanks in advance, JEFF
P.S. Is the o-ring for this seal just a plain one or is it something I should search out from a dealer or other, The old one is pretty stiff and flat after 200k!

JFerg65
06-22-2009, 17:26
Not having had mine apart, I'm wondering if you are placing a pipe plug in it's place if you need one at all???? With some good pipe dope, you may be good to go. Hopefully one here will have the answer. While I had the filter housing out, I would also check and possibly replace the short flexible fuel line that goes from the backside of the filter to the metal fuel line on top of the bell housing. Also take a look at the lines running to the IP and the fuel drain at the front of the motor.

Let us know how it turns out.

Burning Oil
06-22-2009, 17:27
Not sure of your question. Are you asking do you need to keep the base of the FM installed because you disabled the heater element?

jeffscarstrucks
06-22-2009, 20:41
The heater assembly is the bottom of the FM so it must be used. The question is if a person removes the outer cover (where the wires come out of) and then removes the heat element and associated wires and replaces the brass fitting that holds the element and compression fitting with a standard pipe plug would there be any consequences. I did consider welding a plate to the bottom of the FM in place of the heater base to do away with the o-ring seal on the bottom all together but I have not had time to...and I am out of Argon! I hope this clarifies the question. I did change out the inlet and water seperator hoses but I don't think I can get to the back of the IP with out removing the intake. I know a new IP can not be far off with 200k on the original so I will wait 'till then. The old pump is on borrowed time! Thanks, JEFF

jeffscarstrucks
06-23-2009, 14:18
Back together, new O-ring, No leaks. I will know for sure how smart this repair was when it hits 20 degrees....It does always start even below zero with out plugging in but I never gave the fuel heater a thought. I do always use additive so hopefully it won't be an issue. It is 100 plus now so It will be a while! Thanks,JEFF

rogers
06-24-2009, 23:39
My heater element went out a couple of winters back, the truck started rough but ran OK after a few moments. I did, however, get an SES light frequently for fuel temps. I am not sure if that will happen with yours or not, mine is a '96. Hope that helps some.

Robyn
06-25-2009, 07:35
This is a common failure with this unit.
Water collects in the lower part of the FM and over time corodes the unit until fuel finally breaches the thing.

You have some choices, get e new heater assembly(easy to change)

Find a good used FM and bolt on

Replace the entire thing with an aftermarket filter like a Racor 230R2 mounted up forward in the engine bay.

Once fuel weeps out around the wires its Game over..

Good luck and keep us posted.

Robyn

jeffscarstrucks
06-25-2009, 10:57
Luckily my 93 does not have any computer to deal with so no codes...no brains no headaches? When I disassembled the heater assembly there was no corrosion at the base of the element so I can only guess that repeated heat and cool cycles finally allowed the compression ferule to loosen on the thin aluminum element. I screwed a 3/8 plug in to replace the element and it is good to go. Thanks, JEFF

94blue
10-03-2009, 15:18
Hi All,
I've got a pretty substantial fuel leak at the back of the engine also, and it is not the injectors. Truck runs good so I'm guessing the heater as described above. Can you elaborate on the situation described above, or point me in the right direction???? How do I check around the fuel filter since it is so far back on the engine? Can the element be seen from under the truck?

Thanks
94Blue.