PDA

View Full Version : Cooling upgrades

Mikey von
06-20-2009, 15:57
I will be rebuilding soon after a blown head gasket and vapor lock damage. Before going down, I started experience overheating problems (twice).

I plan on putting a banks turbo, timing gears, girdle kit, head studs, by-pass oil filter, high flow oil pump, and maybe a fluidampr (if I have the coin). I live in the mtns and pull passes all the time. I occasional tow and plan on more towing. I would like to stay with the v-belt system (i think).

I plan on getting the high flow water pump from peninsular diesel and running the 195 degree thermostat.

Is there anything else I can do?

Should I stick with my current radiator?

Go with aftermarket oil cooler?

What else can be done?

Does the serp kit with cooling upgrades get me anything more than a high flow standard rotation pump?

john8662
06-20-2009, 17:17
A larger aluminum radiator, hi-flow robertshaw thermostat, and functional fan clutch are all that is required.

Visteon makes a radiator that fits the 6.2L diesel, it has oustanding cooling capacity, I run two of them, one in my 1991 6.2L suburban that I have pulled insane weight behind and it has never gotten any where near close to hot on me, and the other in the race truck.

The thermostat you can get from kennedydiesel, I prefer 180, but I'm in Texas and like a larger safety margin for temperature, and we don't get as cold for as long during the winter.

Functional fan clutch speaks for itself...

You can run the Peninisular Hi Flow water pump as an added advantage, works with V-belt.

HammerWerf
06-28-2009, 14:04
Mikey Von,

I've just gotten what John8662 describes. Al rad, Peninisular 100gpm water pump, 180* RobertShaw thermostat and working fan clutch.

Put the rad in yesterday 6/27/09. Down here in Bakersfield, Today (6/28/09), coming home from church, at 1200 noon, it was 102*F, and the temp gauge was reading about 185*F. Looks like a good setup.

HammerWerf

Mikey von
06-28-2009, 21:23
Good to hear. I will probably run the stock radiator until I get a nv4500 in.