PDA

View Full Version : 6.5L engine swap...non turbo to turbo...

ff43sc
09-10-2005, 17:26
I recently picked up a used "95" 6.5L engine to replace my 200k 6.5l "F" ENGINE that died....the company told me this didn't have a turbo originally but that I can bolt my intake/turbo, exhaust manifolds, etc on it and it would work fine. Only has 40k on engine. .also this one has a mechanical injection pump, which makes me think it can't be newer than 94...Can i simply swap all my electronics/pump/accessories/turbo onto the long block and be good to go or will there be issues....I would appreciate any info you can give me, I was also told That with the electronic pump that I can simply install the injection pump and it will learn the TDC is this also correct or do I have to install the pump with motor at TDC for it to work right. lastly...Other than oil change/filters etc, do I need to do anything else special with this engine with the swap? is water pump the same? If anyone wants to email me with suggestions/tech info I would appreciate it also to: FF43SC@AOL.COM, put 6.5L info in subject,
thanks.

More Power
09-14-2005, 20:40
I recently picked up a used "95" 6.5L engine to replace my 200k 6.5l "F" ENGINE that died....the company told me this didn't have a turbo originally but that I can bolt my intake/turbo, exhaust manifolds, etc on it and it would work fine. Only has 40k on engine. .also this one has a mechanical injection pump, which makes me think it can't be newer than 94...Can i simply swap all my electronics/pump/accessories/turbo onto the long block and be good to go or will there be issues....I would appreciate any info you can give me, I was also told That with the electronic pump that I can simply install the injection pump and it will learn the TDC is this also correct or do I have to install the pump with motor at TDC for it to work right. lastly...Other than oil change/filters etc, do I need to do anything else special with this engine with the swap? is water pump the same? If anyone wants to email me with suggestions/tech info I would appreciate it also to: FF43SC@AOL.COM, put 6.5L info in subject,
thanks.

A non-turbo engine will likely have the smaller port pre-cups in the cyl heads. This is a better choice for fuel economy, but it might not have the exact same power potential as the TD engine.

You'll need the aluminum front timing set cover with the crankshaft position sensor transferred to the new engine. Otherwise, it's a easy swap.

Try to get the injection pump bolted-on in the same orientation as it was on the old engine. The new engine should start and run OK, but it will need to be timed using a Tech I or II scan tool.

Jim

ff43sc
09-17-2005, 18:25
jim, i found out this was a replaced engine, so has original mech injection pump..has larger oil cooling line connectors and appears to be in excellent condition, the water pump on my 95 "f" engine looks to be larger than this "y" engine, should I swap my (6 month old) water pump to this engine for better cooling?thanks for the swap info.

Bobbie Martin
09-18-2005, 03:12
Why not consider keeping the DB2 mechanical injection pump and eliminating any potential PMD problems? If 2WD, its not that hard. Incidentally, GM made non turbo DB2 equipped 6.5's up to 1999.

ff43sc
09-18-2005, 04:16
well, my truck is 4wd, wiring wise, how would i go about connecting the db2 to my electronic 6.5 harness, I'm not familiar enough to know the differences....i do like the high idle solenoid usage(from db2 setup...) wasn't sure if the harness's were the same or if I'd have to do some conversions...thanks for any other info you can give me

joe hatfield
09-18-2005, 08:57
I converted 6.5 Non-TD to put in my 93 with a blown 6.5 TD. It is a painless swap. I added the HO water pump just for safeties sake. The only problem I had was getting the TD exhaust manifolds to fit the non TD head. I had to heat them with a weed burner to get them to expand enough for the bolt holes to macth up (possibly the TD motor creates more heat, thus more expansion/contraction, oh and wear good welders glove while installing!!!) once installed they work fine. If you keep the Non TD db-2 mech pump you will have to turn the fuel control up 1/4 of a turn to match the TD pumps output. (i took mine 1/4 of a turn and then another 1/8 turn. pre-turbo pyro will just reach 1200, but you really have to work at it) all in all this motor runs better than the factory motor ever did. One helpfull item was the 6.5 refference book from this site, got lots of good info in it. good luck :cool: