PDA

View Full Version : Shudder problem plz help!

DaveBr
06-18-2009, 17:47
I got a 93 silverado k1500 with a gas 350 and it shudders when i am driving on the highway at 100 km .It oly shudders when i give it a little gas to go a littler faster.. It does not shudder when i pin it or at any other time. I thought it was a misfire so i changed all ignition parts even my distributor,plugs,wires ex but it still does it.. I went to a tranny shop because i thought it was my torque converter but they said it wasnt my tranny at all.. Any one that had the same problem plz help..

Robyn
06-19-2009, 08:03
Try this test

Get up to the speed where it "shudders"
When the shudder starts, keep the throttle steady and lightly touch the brake pedal.
You only need a light touch on the brake to activate the switch that controls the lockup converter.

If the shudder stops then its the converter or its control circuit.

Just because the tranny shop told you its not the tranny does not make it so.

I have seen lockup clutches do some wierd stuff.

If the shudder continues then the comverter clutch is probably fine.

Look to U joints and other drive shaft related items.

Hope this helps some

Robyn

Beedee
06-19-2009, 15:23
When was the last time you changed your tranny oil?
I was having the same problem a year ago,I talked to a few people in the know and they all said the same thing.
Change your oil and see if it goes away.
I did, and the problem went away.
It is a quick cheap fix if it works.
Maybe you can get lucky too.

Brian

Robyn
06-19-2009, 16:15
What is likely the converter clutch chattering under load.

As the clutch wears the lining gets thin and glazes too.

The apply pressure is just not enough to hold the torque.

The clutch is a pair of rings (soft lining) with the largest being about an inch wide and running around the circumference of the plate.

Once they start to slip (shudder) it does not take long to glaze them and then its pretty well done.

The clutch lining is a paper material that soaks up oil and the combination has good frictional qualities.

Many of the aftermarket clutch linings for converters are semi metalic or Kevlar based materials.

Try a fluid change or the addition of a frictional improver additive.

But as I said once they start slipping its usually end of game.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear BUTTTTTT.

best

Robyn

DaveBr
06-19-2009, 21:12
HEY THX ALOT thats exactly what i was looking for.. So i tried doing that and the shudder stops when i apply the brake and the rpm goes up a little bit.. I changed all my fluids and filter last year but now its a little more dark than new..what kind of converter should i get i got 285 75 r16 tires 350 engine and a 2 inch suspension lift.Is there any kind of torque converter that will make my truck go faster or give me more torque up hill or anything? Thx again :)Also do you think it might just be that circuit you were talking about? If so where is it located and how hard to change.