PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Owners With Speedometer Problems

Roy W
06-18-2009, 07:16
Abour 3 months ago the speedometer on my 2005 Silverado periodically started pegging at 120 mph while driving 55. Eventually it has always worked it's way back to zero. I was aware of problems with the instrument panel on '03-'04 models and GM was warrantying them, but not '05's. My first time questioning the dealer about coverage was denied. The last time I asked to speak with the service manager. He was aware of a problem and looked up the bulletins to see if anything had changed since my last visit. Lo and behold, some 2005's instrument panels ARE covered outside of the 36K warranty. He quoted a particular VIN number, but basically if your 2005 was built BEFORE 12/31/04 and has less than 70K miles on it, it is covered. If your vehicle has between 70K and 80K, they will give you a $500 coupon towards a replacement.

I asked about the time frame involved, as I had heard they need your vehicle for a couple of weeks to have the factory reset the new odometer. The service manager told me that if a refurbished unit is available, (and he said he has always been able to get one) they will set the odometer when he calls the parts request in and he can get me back on the road the next day. If he has to order a new one from the factory, GM will have to reset the odometer and it will take 7-10 days.

I'm glad GM is stepping up to the plate on this one.

Roy W
06-25-2009, 13:46
My local dealership replaced my '05 instrument cluster for free. The repair order says "GM goodwill." I made a special point to thank the service manager for looking up the effected VIN numbers. It can't hurt to have someone on your side when you're out of warranty.