PDA

View Full Version : How to remove 5spd transmission

rlvelin
04-15-2005, 05:36
Hi all

The rear main oil seal went out and I am in the process of replacing it. I am stuck right now as the transmission will not slide back far enough to clear the clutch and bellhousing and it will not drop far enough in the rear so that the shifter stub shaft will clear the hole in the cab floor. I have the transfer case, drivelines, all pertinent crossmembers, exhaust crossover, and rear cover of the transmission removed.

There must be a way to remove this transmission without pulling the engine to do clutch work and such. Does anyone know the trick or what I am missing?

Thanks for any help

JohnC
04-15-2005, 07:02
There is a "push and twist" tool that unlocks the stub and allows you to remove it, solving the problem. I was never able to figure out how to do it, though... (without the tool)

[ 04-15-2005, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: JohnC ]

Turbo Al
04-15-2005, 09:48
I have removed the shifter both ways either works fine.
1. Push and turn the shifter to get it out -- I didn't use any special tool. It is a bit of a *&^*
BUT I found that for more clearance ---
2. Just remove the whole tower -- put it in N and unbolt the tops bolts then pull it up and out.

To put the trans back in the easiest way I found (yes I have a trans jack) is to loop a couple of those wide tie down straps though the cab and around the trans then you can rachet it up on either end to line it up perfectly. It also helps to raise the back of the motor just a little bit for the correct angle.

While you are at it replace the pilot bearing with a solid brass one from a early chevY but at the very least replace the bearing. To get it out fill the space behind it with grease then put a rod into the hole and hit it with a hammer. The Resulting Hydralic action will force the bearing out along the rod (rod must be a little smaller than the bearing center hole).

Al

catmandoo
04-16-2005, 13:45
when i did mine i just bent the floor up right behind the shifter lug,it bends pretty easy and bends back pretty easy too.

RT
04-18-2005, 18:26
To remove the "push-n-twist" retainer I just got a large flat blade screwdriver and a hammer and gently tapped the retainer in a CCW direction. Popped right off. I have done this 3 times, no issues. RT