PDA

View Full Version : Lower Ball Joint Problems

Philsky
06-12-2009, 10:17
I have a 1996 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 6.5 liter turbo diesel. My lower Ball joints are shot and the dealer is telling me this is a non serviceable item and I must but new Lower control arms. I swear these Ball joints can be pressed out and replaced? Has anyone else had this problem arise and how did you remedy it? Thanks for your help and keep up the good work everybody :)

trbankii
06-12-2009, 11:30
I was just looking at replacing the ball joints on my '93, so checked the '96 as well. RockAuto has front upper and lower ball joints here (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1302859,parttype,10070).

Robyn
06-13-2009, 06:40
No Problemo

Just pop the tapers loose on the ball joints and get the spindle out of the way.

Grind off the rivets and remove the joint. The new ones come with bolts and go in easily.

Once done, trot the rig over to your fav lineup shop and have them set the caster/camber and tow in and your good to go.

I would defiantely think about doing the rubber bushings in the arms too.

This requires backing the torsion bars off and getting the arms out of the rig.

If you carefully mark the adjustment cams, you can replace the parts and then put the thing back to where it was. This will get it CLOSE until you can get it ligned up.

Best

Robyn