PDA

View Full Version : 4l80e from 93 into 96 truck

MPrichard
06-12-2009, 09:04
I'm converting my 93 K2500 Sub with 7.4l gas to 6.5TD using 96 dash, column, harnesses, computer, etc. I'm almost done putting the 6.5 back together and started doing some last minute junkyard purchases for the trans shifting since I'm converting from the rod/column shifter to the 96 cable shifter when I noticed that my 4l80e doesn't appear to have the 2 bosses for the PRNB safety switch, and my manual shift shaft is too short to accommodate it even if I put one on and held it in somehow. The tranny was rebuilt not too long ago and the harness was updated to the newer (94-up) connector, so I'm hoping the EPC solenoid was updated at that time as well, but the Aamco guy thinks it'll work regardless with the later computer. There do appear to be the 2 vertical bosses (pan bolt thru-holes?) for the cable bracket, though.

I'd really love to use as many stock parts as I can, so I'm wondering how hard it would be to swap in a longer later manual shift shaft for use with the switch? Does the valve body have to come out, or is everything accessible just with the pad dropped? Is the shaft hole otherwise the same (seals, diameter)?

As for the switch, it looks like there are other bosses nearby which could be used to support a homemade bracket, or will this be hell to align rotationally? Am I just better off going with a gate shifter with built-in switches? Will I blow up my 96 computer if the EPC solenoid is still the old one?