PDA

View Full Version : Another injection pump question

trollporter
06-10-2009, 13:25
To start with i'm new to the 6.2 game, just picked up a '85 1-1/4 CUCV M1028 with the 6.2L. I drove it alittle and about once every mile it's shutting down on me and has no power. From the day of research ive done, apparently the plastic retainer that holds the gov wieghts is shot. I'm getting alot of black junk built up in the return check valve that's located in front of the air cleaner and i'm also hearing some what of a grinding noise when I do have it running. So from the looks of it i'm in the market for a new/rebuilt IP with the upgraded E.I.D. wieght retainer. What is my best direction to go from here? Who do you get your pumps from? Who has the best price? Where can I find a step by step instruction to walk me through this? Should I call an exorcist?

Also, the trans seems to shift fine when you first start out after cleaning the check valve and then starts shifting erraticly. Is there something IP wise that is causing this or is my tranny shot too? BTW, the truck on has 26,000 miles on it so I couldn't imagine the trans being toast.

Like I said, i'm new to the 6.2 world so any help would be great!

thanks, troy

DmaxMaverick
06-10-2009, 16:33
Welcome aboard!

What you describe doesn't sound like the IP. Not that it may not need one.

The power loss sounds more like fuel delivery, before the IP. Probably the fuel lift pump. Or, an air leak (poorly serviced fuel filter or old/cracked fuel lines/connectors).

The grinding noise is likely an accessory, or the crank drive pulley, and/or the harmonic balancer. By the time an IP makes enough noise you start suspecting it, you'll need a broom and dustpan to pick up the pieces.