PDA

View Full Version : Scored an ATS turbo!

nlines
06-10-2009, 11:34
Having looked for three years at the local Pick N pull (Fairfield, CA). I found a complete ATS turbo mounted on a two wheel drive crew cab, 2.0 hours later it was mine. It seems to be in good shape, but I am curious how freely should the turbo spin? When I turn it with my finger it only makes a couple of turns before stopping.I was thinking it should be very free spinning like a ball bearing race? Does this sound OK? .. Thanks

1990 1/2 ton suburban

DmaxMaverick
06-10-2009, 11:44
The "spool" rides in an Oilite bronze bushing cartridge. If it has old oil, or the oil has been flushed from it, it will not turn easily. The spool will turn very easily with fresh oil, or oil under pressure (the oil IS the bearing, when under pressure). I don't recommend turning it more than absolutely necessary without proper lubrication. You can damage the bushing without the lube.

If it turns smooth, and has no significant play, it's probably in good shape. I suggest pouring some motor oil (or ATF) through it (into the inlet, let it drain out the outlet) before giving it a spin. You don't know how long it's been without pressurized oil, or what conditions were present when it was last used (perhaps contaminated oil), or what has happened since it was used.