PDA

View Full Version : difference between a 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton

stroh
06-08-2009, 10:23
I found a 1/2 ton 6.2 suburban 4x4 for sale locally, but I want a 3/4 ton, 4x4. Does anybody know the differences other than axles? I am pondering purchasing it and putting 3/4 ton axles under it to pull my trailer. Is the frame heavier or the same etc.

Thanks
Stroh

crashz
06-09-2009, 09:18
Depends on the year. From my truck experience of the 80's models, the frames are similar. Same apparent dimensions and maybe only a slight difference in metal thickness (guage).

Transmission options and transfercases were often the 700R4 and NP 208, both found in 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks. The subs having a heavier curb weight than trucks that may affect the gross combined weights and may have an impact on the drivetrain equipment.

One big thing is the the door sticker and VIN. It will still be a half ton and will only legally haul and tow to the corresponding weights according to Johnny Law. If you are within those limits and just want the added strength of the 3/4ton components, you'll be fine. Make sure you weight the truck after all modifications to establish your new payload limits. The magic numbers for Gross Vehcile Weight and Gross Combined Vehicle Weight will still be the same, but your curb weight will go up slightly if you beef up the truck.