PDA

View Full Version : which year?

w6bauer
06-07-2009, 10:21
My dad is looking to buy a 1 ton dually with a duramax. He's got his eye on a pretty burly 5th wheel so he wants the duramax, never cared for the ford powerstrokes. Does anyone know the year that the duramax was the best. By best I mean least problems and failures as well as most efficient. He needs a 4x4 crew cab dually, he's looking at 04-08 right now, any suggestions?

DmaxMaverick
06-07-2009, 10:37
2006 (late), and 2007 (early). Either LBZ model years. A bit more refined, and before the EPA invasion.

NutNbutGMC
06-07-2009, 17:32
The LBZ engine Duramax is a good engine as stated above. I have that engine in a 2500HD.

If he's looking for a tow vehicle for that one specific purpose, don't overlook the Cummins in a Dodge. Just saying....

w6bauer
06-09-2009, 08:11
never really been a dodge fan, although the cummins is sweet. Just read a review page in popular mechanics that compared ford gm and dodge one ton duallys. The duramax equipped rig outperformed the others in fuel economy as well as accelleration while loaded. Ride quality is also far superior to its counterparts for obvious reasons, the gm is the only one with independent front suspension. Needless to say he is still considering going with that burly international truck. Doesnt like the idea of riding around fully loaded I guess. I would go with the most reliable and most fuel efficient.

carco
06-10-2009, 07:07
He can get the Duramax/Allison combo in a GM C4500/5500 truck also. I have a C5500 D/A, rollback a nice running truck and should compare to the IHC.