PDA

View Full Version : Major Leak

ohhowie
06-03-2009, 12:24
Hello all: In the past few days I have noticed a large leak developing under my truck.The vehicle is a stock 02 dually with the duramax LB7. The leak seems to be coming from the overflow tube at the front of the engine. Coolant stays at the same level,but the oil level seems to have risen. What comes out of the overflow seems to be a mixture of oil and fuel. If this is the case, would this be an injector failure, or would it be something else? Not blowing any type of smoke with normal driving, but very very black when its pushed to the floor. In general it runs ok but sometimes it almost wants to stall at idle or runs very rough. I've heard that if there is diesel in the crankcase its the injectors. Any other thoughts? Only 64K miles on the truck.

DmaxMaverick
06-03-2009, 12:33
Welcome aboard!

In all likelihood, injectors. Could be fuel return plumbing, but most likely injectors. If you made an engine related driveability complaint to a dealer while you were still under warranty, it may be covered under warranty. If not, many dealers will work with you on the repair bill, and in some cases, will get it completely covered, if you aren't far out of warranty. Shop around for a good dealer that is willing to work with you (while you can). Many dealers are about to be closed up, and are grabbing at any jobs they can get their hands on, including warranty.

ohhowie
06-03-2009, 13:09
Thanks DMax; I live in the Los Angeles area, havent had much luck with the dealers in the area and was wondering if you or some of the other members may know of a trustworthy and knowledgable shop that I could take it to and confirm that it is indeed the injectors and who could do the repair?

DmaxMaverick
06-03-2009, 13:45
We have a bunch of members in your area who could help better than I with that. I have a couple good dealers, but probably 150-200 miles away from you. I suggest starting with the dealer you are most familiar with, and talk directly with the service manager and/or owner. You are out of warranty, and beyond the extended injector warranty, so you will need some support getting help with it. They have a lot of discretion at their disposal, and can use it if they want to. Warranty repairs don't usually pay as well as out of warranty repairs, but jobs are scarce these days. Many of them will go to bat for you just to get the work. If it had been that way all along, perhaps they wouldn't be in the fix they are in.

OC_DMAX
06-03-2009, 16:51
What part of the LA basin?

ohhowie
06-03-2009, 18:16
I live in torrance, california.