PDA

View Full Version : 4 speed 4wd to 2wd conversion

doncannon
06-01-2009, 20:02
Hello All,

I just bought another diesel truck!! I bought it for the 4 speed transmission to put in my truck whichi is an automatic. I searched all the forums but cannot find the thread that showed the conversion. Maybe it is just old age?? My question is this what all do i need to change this 4 spd from a 4wd into my 2wd truck? Do I need a new tail shaft? or just my head examined?

thank you all in advance,
Don

350Tacozilla
06-03-2009, 16:38
if I remember correctly the sm-465 4 speed the 4wd version is different from 2wd in the output shaft area and cant be converted without getting the entire output from a 2wd truck (please correct me if wrong here people)

HH
06-04-2009, 07:42
Run it with the transfer case, then you can run it in low when needed. Might be better off finding a 2wd version. IIRC you will have to change the main shaft. Someone else here might know those better. I should ask, is it a SM465 or NV4500?

DieselCrawler
06-08-2009, 13:02
4sp=465
5sp=NV4500

Much easier to find a 2wd tranny... I've got 2 in my garage... I'll make ya a deal...

I'm south of Wheeling WV about an hours drive, takes us about 2 hours to get to pittsburg to visit my grandma... to give you an idea of how far away I am...

I need a 4wd 4sp and transfer case with shifter linkages... wanna trade? Maybe meet you half way? I'm open to ideas!!!

doncannon
06-11-2009, 03:59
Thanks for the input.

350tacozilla: It is a sm465 4 spd unfortunately it is not out of the truck yet!

HH: that is a great idea! I just dont have the time to try and mount everything. Wish I did it would be cool as hell. excuse my french

Dieselcrawler: Hopefully soon the wife is wanting me get rid of the truck once I part it out and the motor is going in my 87. how soon are you coming to pittsburgh?

thanks again everyone,
Don

DieselCrawler
06-11-2009, 06:55
Give me a call... how much of the donor truck is left? I might add it to my back yard... if your wanting to get rid of all of it... check your PM's...

DieselCrawler
06-17-2009, 06:57
DonCannon, still waiting for a reply... let me know... others are interested in the trans I have, but I wanted to let you have first crack at 'em... since I told you about 'em first. I left my phone number in the PM I sent you about a week ago...

doncannon
06-18-2009, 07:50
DieselCrawler: Sorry could not find the post had to do a search and it just brought the post up today. Go ahead and sell it I tracked down a 5 spd and I am going to go and get it I think. Just wanted to let you know. thanks How does the PM thing work?