PDA

View Full Version : Last days of Warranty

David_Jennings
01-25-2004, 08:39
My 100K engine warranty expires in April on my '99 K2500 GMC. I was thinking of taking it in to a freindly local dealer and paying the deductable to have check for the typical, big- dollar problems that occur on these engines (before the warranty expires). I would first try to ensure they would fix problems if discovered, but in any event, what would I have them examine? I'm uncertain whether the 99's have the newer, tougher block, but I thought the block cracking would be the place to start. Everything else runs fine. No matter what I do, I'll still have the 120K pump warranty. Any Ideas? Thanks.

DmaxMaverick
01-25-2004, 13:14
It's a good idea to check for problems before the warranty runs out. Problem is, unless you have a specific warranty covered issue, the warranty won't cover the cost. You would have to pay normal diagnostic fees, which would be waived if a covered issue is discovered. Then you'd only have to pay the deductible. If it is injector pump related, there is no deductible. The engine warranty only covers the engine, and nothing else. Not the alternator, PS pump, A/C, tranny, etc.

You would be much better off inspecting it yourself (or a reputable shop), and save the dealer's inflated shop rate, just in case there is nothing wrong, which is likely. A typical dealer will charge you $150 to repair a loose radio knob, whether it's loose or not. If you take it in and tell them to look for a problem, they will find one, but probably not warranty covered. If you find a cracked block....Paydirt!

Good luck....