PDA

View Full Version : Traction control for a tow vehicle??????

Lonesome7.3
05-31-2009, 02:29
I have heard that ladder bars are not a good choice for a tow rig. Why is that? If they are indeed a bad choice what form of traction control should I build?

DmaxMaverick
05-31-2009, 08:00
Put ladder bars on a heavy tow vehicle, and you'll start breaking things. Springs, shackles, U-joints, axles, driveshafts, trannies, etc. Ladder bars don't improve traction directly, they only help keep spring wrap to a minimum when under high torque or variable traction situations, like accelerating on loose ground or drag racing, resulting in less axle hop. If you are experiencing axle hop while towing, you have issues bigger than the both of us. If your tow vehicle is never driven on solid ground away from the dunes/sand, then probably no harm. The sand then becomes the release point. When towing or heavily loaded, the drivetrain needs the spring wrap to cushion the torque, using the springs to absorb variations. Take away that cushion, and the stress will find another way out, like through a twisted driveshaft.

Lonesome7.3
05-31-2009, 08:08
I see your point. I was thinking about going with a link system. Maybe one centered link or a set of four paralell to each other.

DmaxMaverick
05-31-2009, 08:44
Why do you think you need a trac system on your tow vehicle?

Lonesome7.3
05-31-2009, 08:55
When I get home and biuld this thing I am going to run soft ride lift springs in the rear. I will install Air bags to handle the load when towing. When the truck is empty, the taller soft springs will be less tolerent to axle wrap. Especialy with the heavy 22.5's I have on there now. I still drive the truck even when there is no trailer hooked to it. Also, this truck will be hauling trailers down some not too friendly roads. During the rainy season they are more like long tracks of mud.

DmaxMaverick
05-31-2009, 09:00
What vehicle are we talking about?

Lonesome7.3
05-31-2009, 09:02
This one right here.

DmaxMaverick
05-31-2009, 09:12
While a trac system would likely offer some advantage when empty, it would most likely be disastrous with a heavy load. Taller suspension translates to greater leverage.

You need to look into a system with a disconnect feature.

Nice lookin' rig, BTW.

Lonesome7.3
05-31-2009, 09:17
That would be a hassle, especialy for my wife when she uses the truck. I am thinking maybe a single center link might work.

Oh yeah, thanks. I am doing a lot to it when I am home on R&R.