PDA

View Full Version : Transfercase Interchangeability

Yukon6.2
05-21-2009, 23:17
Hi
So i belive my tcase quit on me today,does anyone know if the spline count is the same on a tcase from a standerd trans as one from a auto?
Both trucks are the same year both one tons,mine diesel/auto,doner gas/standerd.Not sure of the modle of tcase,but it's the cast iron case one with the PTO opening.
Thanks Thomas

Robyn
05-22-2009, 07:05
The input spline count is different as well as the adapter.

Now you can swap those components from your old case to the new one.

If the price is good then your set.

Robyn

Yukon6.2
05-26-2009, 07:43
Hi
So i found out that the spline count is the same between the auto and standard tcase at least thats the case with the 205 case:D.good news
Bad news:mad: i also found my problem.I was delivering one of three wrecks from my bone yard too a bone yard 100 miles away,i have a three person trade going,three wrecks for a old front end loader,loader going to the guy thats doing the log work on our house,whice is being traded for log work.
Anyhow i was just pulling out on the main highway in Whitehorse,100 mile away when all forwars motin stopped with the truck trailer and wreck partway into an interseciton.No warning just an loud grinding noise.I got everyone waved past me,no fluid on the ground.I tried a few things and got it to work in 4low reverse long enough to back up a little hill and off to side of road,but that was it.
I thouhgt the shifter fork in tcase must of packed it in sounded like the gears were not meshing.Turned out to be the splines in tcase and trans had wore out.
Good news,had a spare trans from a burnt blazer that i already had pulled and put in my storage shed,and my spare tcase from anther storage shed will complete the swap.
Trans is from 82 diesel blazer,finally getting paid for that tow job:D
Tcase from 90 1 Ton gasser 4speed,i bought the drive train for a differnt project that never happened.
So i need a couple of seals,filter kit,fluid,and an extra day to put it all back together.Hopefully the trans works as good as it looks inside,have no history on it.crossing my fingers:)
Thomas

Yukon6.2
06-05-2009, 07:47
Update
It took a little more than a day to finish off.
Every thing bolted together,and are working like they should.I may have to do some fine tuning on the shifting points,but i'll drive as is for a while.
So i have found out that the 205 tcase is the same for both the standard and auto trans.
Now i have a 400 trans and a 205 tcase that need main shafts replaced,a project that will take place years from now:rolleyes:
I thought i was finished when i had the drive shafts bolted in,looked around and seen the main leaf on left rear spring had broke on both sides of the spacer between the original leafs and the overloads that were installed.The spacer block had sharp edges and looks like it weakened the main leaf by wearing a slight groove in it causing it to break.I took the edge off when i put it back together,hopefully i cured the problem.
Thomas