PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Shocks?

Diverguy
01-24-2004, 11:21
Hi Guys;
I have to replace the shocks on my '98 K2500 after 137,000 km. The ride is starting to get somewhat soft and bouncy. I require some feedback on some of the brands you've used. Bilstiens are unavailable in Canada and currently I do not want to import them from the states. Since I live in a small town Monroe and Gabriel are dominant. I am not a serious offroader but I do bounce around on deactivated logging roads in the summer. Has anyone used Koni shocks? I asked about the KYB brand at my local autoparts store but the shocks for my truck are backordered until April. I would like to get started on the replacement before the middle of next month. I have used Cdn. Cheapy Tire Motomaster shocks on my old van and was not too impressed but then again trying to resurect the dead isn't the easiest chore either. Please advise and thank you in advance.

Dvldog 8793
01-24-2004, 12:50
Howdy
I have Billsteins on my welding rig, Rancho9000 on my Diesel, KYBs on my vette, and gabriel superduper-best-ones-they-make on my 95caprice police. I've had good luck with ALL of them. Granted they all are in VERY different applications. The Ranchos seem to work good for my 99 3500. and they have a life time warrenty.
Hope this helps!
L8r
Conley

Uncle Wally
01-25-2004, 17:22
DVLDOG,

Check out the post on MN D.O.G.

I have bilsteins on mine. Got them from Kennedy. I didn't know there was a problem importing them to CA.

The bilsteins are a much better shock IMHO. I tried the champion auto top of the line monroe's - junk - they pounded themselves apart in less than a 1000 miles. And I never went off road. The second set lasted twice as long. After that I was done with monroe shocks.

I have KYB's on my Malibu - Awesome! But that's set up like a slot car.

Waldo

tom.mcinerney
01-26-2004, 18:58
Diverguy--some aftermarket shocks have less travel than the OEM, and will probably self destruct in short order. Otherwise a well spec'd 'gas' shock should work. Billsteins best, but heap expensive--More Power did an article about them last year....

EscaladeDiesel
01-27-2004, 05:36
I put Edlebrock shocks on my 1998 K2500 Suburban. I have mixed emotions about them, not sure if others here like them or not. They keep it steady, but the ride is much harsher, going over railroad tracks for example rattles your teeth. Sometimes rides like my 1997 1 ton dually 4x4, and that is as harsh and stiff riding as it gets. I put some Bilsteins on a 1995 K2500, and the difference was night and day. The Bilsteins made it ride and handle so much better. I never really thought there was much difference in shocks till then. That's why went with the Edlebrocks this time, thinking they would be even better (guess I was wrong).

Govt issue
01-27-2004, 06:24
I have the rancho 9000 with the air pump and guages. I wouldn't trade this system for anything.
You can make this thing hang corner, or youcan make it float like a wore out greyhound. When you are towing you canpump up the rear to full firm and leave the front mid way. the truck takes on new life with controll. 96 k2500 sub
vin f 214000 miles