PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to beat a dead horse

turbovair
10-24-2003, 00:25
I know this has been discussed MANY times. Just for old times sake....pre or post turbo EGT on the 6.5? Which is effective without excruciating effort to install? Thanx guys...T Vair

ToddMeister
10-24-2003, 03:36
I went pre-turbo on my 6.5. I purchased the clamp-on style thermocouple and only had to drill a 1/4 inch hole on the crossover pipe just below the driver side manifold. This seemed the easiest way for me.

Others have drilled and tapped the passenger side exhaust manifold just before the turbo.

catmandoo
10-24-2003, 04:34
thats what i did while the manifold was off, on the valve cover side right under the flange for the turbo there is a small square boss sticking out ,just tap it to 1/4 pipe thread and the probe screws right in and you can run the wires in the loom on the side of the valve cover to hide the wires

DBlake
10-24-2003, 07:35
With John Kennedy's guidance that flat spot is where I put my pyro with the exhaust manifold in place. Very simple, I just started with a 1/8 inch drill, then 7/16. Finished with a 1/2inch NPT tap. Have the engine idling to blow out metal flakes while drilling and tapping.

cruzer
10-24-2003, 10:43
I recall in past posts people were dropping crossover pipe and drilling and tapping drivers side exh manifold near #7cyld. Chips fall to the ground. Or install bung in cross over below drivers exh manifold. It's easy to drop. Mines below turbo in down pipe. D/P came with bung already in it from Banks.

bnmccoy
10-24-2003, 12:57
As mentioned...

I dropped the crossover pipe which is real easy to do.

Prior to dropping I marked the location; I don't remember exactly how far down is.. 3" if I recall correctly. In any case it was as suggested by the install documentation.

Drilled a hole, used a nut & bolt with washers to hold a half-coupling then welded same to crossover pipe. Removed bolt and installed down pipe. Did this back in early 96 and it is still working fine.

Bob