PDA

View Full Version : Compression tester

brighty
04-26-2009, 23:46
I'm in need of a compression tester for a 6.2 with 6.5 heads.

Can someone point me in the direction of a tester kit I can buy online that'll fit the 6.2/6.5 diesels... or tell me the thread type and size so I can order one from here in Australia somewhere. I've bought a kit from the local engineering shop but none of the fittings were the same thread type as the glow plug or injector threads.

Here is the injector just incase the thread types/sizes are different.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/brighty4wd/Chev%20Engine/DSC04962.jpg

Cheers,
Brighty.

DmaxMaverick
04-27-2009, 00:21
I don't know if they'll ship to OZ, but Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46800) has a nice set that works.

john8662
04-27-2009, 07:15
BTW, you don't use the injector hole for compression either, you remove a glow plug.

brighty
04-27-2009, 21:53
BTW, you don't use the injector hole for compression either, you remove a glow plug.

Thanks for the tip.... but why do they supply it with the adapters to screw into the injector hole of the head.... usually with an added bit that screws into this which is where the pressure it tested from???

Subzilla
04-28-2009, 06:42
The kit I purchased from Harbor Frieght came with fittings for all sorts of diesels out there - some fittings use the injector hole, some use the the glow plug hole. My kit would fit every diesel out there, it seems, EXCEPT for our 6.2/6.5's!! Nope, no adapter for ours! The box description said it would fit the GM diesel but the fit chart INSIDE confirmed that it only included the 5.7 and the Duramax. So I purchased just an adapter on the internet that cost almost as much as the whole kit. Of course my luck, the quick connect fitting on the the adapter was different than the quick connect fittings in the kit. SO, I splice welded two fittings together to make things work. We're all good now.

GregCrabb
05-02-2009, 22:03
bought mine a few years ago from JC Whitney to work on an old VW Rabbit...it had the GM adapter to go in the glow plug hole with it. I didn't know then I'd eventually need it for my 6.2 but fortunately I kept everything together for 15 years.

GregCrabb
05-02-2009, 22:06
hey, look here on ebay..It may or may not have the GM adapter in it
http://shop.ebay.com.au/items/?_nkw=diesel+compression+tester&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=6.2+diesel+compression+tester&_osacat=0

brighty
05-04-2009, 06:19
I don't know if they'll ship to OZ, but Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46800) has a nice set that works.

Subzilla has said he bought one of these from Harbor freight but didn't come with the correct fitting for the 6.2.... do you know what part no it was that supplies it with the correct fittings?? Just makes it a little difficult to buy stuff from the US when I live half way accross the other side of the world... especially if I don't get the correct part I require.

Thanks,
Brighty.

Subzilla
05-04-2009, 07:08
The kit that Maverick references from Harbor Freight is NOT the same kit I purchased going by the picture. And I paid much, much less than that - you get what you pay for, I guess. In fact, I don't even see the kit I purchased listed anymore.

Going by the description, Maverick's kit does list the GM 6.2/6.5.....I believe mine just said it would fit the GM diesel. It was more like this one but with more adapters, check the description: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93644

DmaxMaverick
05-04-2009, 09:17
My kit fits all the GM's. It's more of a "professional" kit, unlike the other kit SubZ referenced. I passed on the cheaper kits (there were 2 others), because the picture on the box didn't appear to have enough adapters for my needs. If I only needed a 6.2 adapter, I probably would have bought the cheaper kit (because it said "GM"), and been in the same boat as SubZ.

I have an adapter I made from a glow plug (20+ years ago), but adapting it to a current tester would be another chore. If I could find it, that is...it's around here, somewhere....I swear. It was very easy to make, and I could make another one in a flash, if needed. IIRC, I used an AN-6 fitting on the adapter, which fit my tester of the time (commercial Diesel compression tester). Once you gut the glow plug, just weld/braze/thread a fitting/coupler to the hex end. The core of the plugs will punch out, once the tip is removed at the end of the taper.

Also, while your're messing with glow plug holes, clean them with a bore brush, like you would a gun barrel. Use 2 phospher/bronze or nylon brushes, not a SS brush (if the head is on the engine), the size of the thread bore, and the tip bore. P/B and nylon is softer than the metals in the engine, while SS is not, and the bristles can shed while you use them. I use WD40 as a solvent, and it works well. Be sure to "blow out" the cylinders berfore trying a start (WD40 is an excellent fuel--just crank the engine a bit before installing the plugs).