PDA

View Full Version : I'm Stumped

scruffydogtoo
09-09-2005, 05:22
Replaced the fuel filter assembly (there was evidence of fuel from the heater wires, also the metal screw on bottom cap was leaking)and rubber fuel lines to the IP. Installed a new PMD too while I had it torn down. Inspected all other lines and connections and could not see any evidence of fuel leakage. Reassembled everything, started engine and still have a major fuel leak. Fuel is running down the back of the engine/trans. There is fuel in the valley but I cannot determine where it is coming from.
When I tear it down again, is it ok to crank the engine without the intake manifold installed? Need to apply pressure to fuel system and don't know how else to do so.

Appreciate any suggestions.

94 Silverado ext cab 4x4 6.5T stock 130,000mi.

JohnC
09-09-2005, 06:22
You can run the engine without the intake manifold, but if anything falls in... the dealer has a set of screens that bolt on in place of the manifold.

Running the lift pump with the engione off should be sufficient.

Don't overlook the rubber hoses that run up the back of the bell housing. One is from the lift pump and the other is the return.

DA BIG ONE
09-09-2005, 10:33
Originally posted by JohnC:
Don't overlook the rubber hoses that run up the back of the bell housing. One is from the lift pump and the other is the return. When I had my tranny done, some ^&%$%%2 left those hoses loose, metal tube became damaged then leaked....

scruffydogtoo
09-10-2005, 03:59
Sometimes it just does not pay to make any assumptions. While checking the supply and return fuel lines I discovered a loose stud that holds the starter selonoid to the block was loose. What I thought was fuel leaking under the truck was in fact coolant. I assumed it was fuel because it was coming from the same area and I did not actually get under the truck to check. So I had fixed the fuel leak but created a coolant leak. All is well, I guess.

Thanks much for the help and suggestions.

diesel65
09-10-2005, 07:52
If you are talking about the solenoid on the left side cylinder head by the firewall, it's not a starter solenoid, it is your glow plug relay.

scruffydogtoo
09-10-2005, 08:00
I stand corrected, thanks.