PDA

View Full Version : Dimmer for gauges?

stig
10-24-2003, 00:07
For my 95 Sub, I'm adding a few gauges. Where should I tap into to get dimmer power? Location and wire color, please. A wire on the plug to the headlight switch would be easy to get to.

Thanks

catmandoo
10-24-2003, 04:37
does it have a dash lite fuse, the older stuff did and you could tap off it?

jspringator
10-24-2003, 05:12
I tapped into a switched source in a block under the dash. The light in the guage is on anytime the ignition is on. The same source also powers the guages. Probably not optimal, but greatly simplifies instalation.

HowieE
10-24-2003, 05:19
There are several places were you can pick up the dimmer circuit.
D4 location of Fuse #14 or the Gray wire that feeds the lights in the transfer case selecter, these will insure your gauge lights are fused. If you are going to fuse the guage lights themselves you can tap into the Green wire off post E on the head light switch. .

goodmonkey
10-24-2003, 08:22
I have the 95 service manuals. Unfortionatly I'm at work so can't look at them. But I will try to get you the exact wire that comes off the switch for dimming this evening.

stig
10-24-2003, 10:10
Thanks for all the info. I am sure one of the suggestions will do the trick. I'll start with Fuse 14 or the Green/post E on the headlight switch. I've got to get the service manuals.

goodmonkey
10-24-2003, 12:52
Tapping off of Pin E of the headlight switch will allow the gauges to dim, but if not being fused then it would be advisable to go through fuse 14. After that you can find a grey wire going to most anything that has backlighting, and that is what controls the dimming in that device. Hope that helps you out.