PDA

View Full Version : Driving in water

opto
04-22-2009, 15:11
I remember from reading the manual that the diesels trucks were rated to be driven in shallower water than the gas trucks.

Why???

JoeyD
04-22-2009, 17:03
I would think the oposite. No distributor to get wet, no plug wires to get wet.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
04-22-2009, 19:48
:D have had the truck deep enough to have water coming in from under the dash. :D no problems.
not that i would recommend getting into a situation where water is entering from that location, but....

john8662
04-23-2009, 06:40
I remember from reading the manual that the diesels trucks were rated to be driven in shallower water than the gas trucks.

Why???

Some Diesels, like the Mechanical 6.2 and early 6.5 are good in the water, because the lack all the electrical connections and computer controls that will become wet and not function, causing the engine to run improperly.

All gasoline engines have an electrical ignition system that is very susceptical (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ei=WW_wSY-wOKHOMd2gnKkP&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&q=susceptical&spell=1) to malfunction when becoming wet, causing short circuits. Because of the high voltage of the spark ignition system, insulators become compromised easily, especially in the presence of water. I wouldn't want to go water bogging in a gasser for sure.

raunch
04-23-2009, 07:00
Just be aware of where the intake is located. If it is behind the grill there is potential to draw in water if the water you are crossing is deep enough.

Robyn
04-23-2009, 07:56
The HMMWV's are used with a high mount intake and exhaust and these are regularly used in fairly deep water.

The DS4 system could be a real PITA in water though.

Best

RC

opto
04-24-2009, 02:48
I agree that the Diesel engine would be less prone to stalling because of water, taken no in intake

that is the reason why I wondered why the manual to the truck would say less water for the diesel

DmaxMaverick
04-24-2009, 09:13
There's a lot more to water fording than electrical, intake and exhaust. The HMMWV's have a hydraulic fan clutch, and it will be disengaged during deep water fording. Although a viscous fan clutch is less likely to engage in deep water (decreased thermal potential), they are still churning when cold. The result is fan blades slicing into the radiator, as the density of water will bend the fan blades to a much greater degree than air.

Gear boxes on military (dedicated) vehicles are vented and sealed much differently than civi's (including CUCV's). A hot rear end (civi) suddenly dunked in water will pull water into the housing, right past the seals (or into a vent, if it's submerged), as one example. All the CUCV's, of every brand, saw this problem frequently. Although not immediately catastrophic, it increases maintenance needs and premature failure.

The Diesel, without an intake air throttle, has a greater potential of ingesting a greater amount of water into a single cylinder (the instant killer). Although enough water to overcome the combustion chamber volume can be equally devistating in any engine, the potential is greater with a Diesel engine.

However, I don't see the logic in a manual statement that a Diesel is more sensitive to water than a gasser. By the time you have water high enough to threaten the intake, you have bigger fish to fry, and most all differences between Diesels and gassers at that time will fade away.

opto
04-24-2009, 15:07
I totally agree

That's the reason of my post, if anybody had a clue.......