PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help..once again

lmholmes11
04-22-2009, 11:28
Hey guys,

Here's my situation. As you can see below, I have an 01 crew cab, with about 114,000 miles. The truck has been sitting for about a week and a half because I am out in California. The truck was running fine before I left. My wife went outside and started the truck. It started fine, but when she put it in reverse...nothing. She had it in the reverse position, but it wouldn't go, however the "Service Engine Soon" icon turned on, not the "check engine'. She shut the truck off, started it again, put it in reverse, and it went this time. She 'SAYS' the truck is running fine but then again she isnt used to driving the truck. So i am going to drive it when i get home to see if something is off. Does anyone have any idea what could be happening? My first thought is the transmission, because it wouldn't go, while in reverse. I'm going to have her check the trans. fluid level later on today. Any help is appreciated. Thank you guys.

DmaxMaverick
04-22-2009, 12:20
Not to worry. The torque converter drained down while it sat. Not uncommon, and nothing more than an inconvenience. No damage, and nothing broke. There is a fix for this, but not worth it, IMO, unless it happens more frequently (every day or two). If the truck has to sit w/o running for extended periods (more than a few days), you can avoid this by starting normal, let it warm up a bit (a few minutes), then shut down and restart. It should continue normally. The SES lamp should turn off after a few normal starts, or it can be cleared with a scan tool.

Your truck doesn't have a "Check Engine" indicator. Only a "Service Engine Soon" lamp, and warning text for sensor readings out of spec (oil pressure/level, temp, battery, 4x4, etc.), at the message center (none of these will cause DTC's), and sometimes an alarm tone (like the key-in tone).

lmholmes11
04-22-2009, 16:08
well what a relief! I will keep this post updated if it happens more frequently. Thanks again!

lmholmes11
04-27-2009, 09:09
Anyone know off hand what fuse the obd 2 port is on? My scanner isnt connecting to it, i checked all connections so i think there is a blown fuse. If someone knows offhand and it would prevent me from going through every fuse on my truck it would be great!

madmatt
04-27-2009, 13:17
cig lighter fuse

lmholmes11
04-27-2009, 13:18
ok thank you

lmholmes11
04-28-2009, 08:40
I checked the cig. lighter fuse and it is not blown. All connections are good with the OBD reader. Is there anything else I need to check to get the port working again?

DmaxMaverick
04-28-2009, 08:49
Is the scanner not powering up, or not communicating? If it's not powering up, check pin 16 in the DLC (data link connector, OBD II connector). It should have 12V all the time. Pin 16 is the lower/left, with an orange wire connecting it (there is also a ground, but I don't know which pin, look to the back for the black wire). If it's powering up, but not recognizing the PCM, the serial data connection is not complete, or the PCM is rejecting communication (possibly a bad PCM). Also, check your scanner connector for a bent/missing pin.

lmholmes11
04-29-2009, 20:44
one of the pins were missing...oops! Got another one and now it is working. Thanks!