PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 TD starts and idles fine and then...

stockncalls
04-20-2009, 19:45
My 92 GMC Sierra 3500 starts and idles fine, then after the period when it would idle down after a few minutes of warming up, it will begin running rough and puffing occasional blue smoke. My fuel is clean, lift pump seems fine, and filter clean. It seems this problem is related to when the engine is going from cold idle to warm, I just can't understand why all the blue smoke because there is no blue smoke on initial warmup period (first few minutes). There is rough running and much loss of power if I attempt to put truck in gear and drive it in this state. If I shut it down and restart, it immediately runs rough. If I shut it down and let it cool off, it will start right up and idle smoothly until the idle down again. During any period when the truck idles well there is no blue smoke from the tailpipe. Forgive me if this is a simple problem but I can't seem to answer my own question after reading through the manual I bought at theDieselPage.com. Any help out there, please?

JohnC
04-21-2009, 10:49
Does it get better again after it warms up?

After the initial warm-up period the timing is returned to "normal." This may be pointing up deficiencies in the injectors or injection pump. How old are they?

stockncalls
04-21-2009, 13:39
I have owned the vehicle for 4 years now and for all I know they are the original equipment on the vehicle. I have never done anything with the pump or the injectors. The only thing I have done is regularly change the fuel filter and I always add several ounces of power service in the grey bottle when I fill the fuel tank.