PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 with possibly 6.5 heads???

brighty
04-20-2009, 10:39
I've had a 6.2 diesel in my 4x4 now for a few years but am looking at cleaning the old girl up and getting it to run a bit better..... the guys in my 4wd club said the previous owner (who was also in the club prior to me) had 6.5 heads put on it. How can I tell if they are definitely 6.5 or 6.2 heads... any distinguishing stamping or numbers etc to look for???

How do I also tell if it has the 6.2 or 6.5 injectors as I'll be looking at getting those replaced with some new ones too. Only reason I'm asking is that we have very limited suppliers of parts for these engines here in Australia and need to know exactly what I got before I go getting prices from them.

Thanks,
Brighty.

john8662
04-23-2009, 06:33
For the 6.5 heads, you can look externally at the exhaust ports. A 6.5 head will have the number 567 in raised letters on one of the exhaust runners, which will be viewable on the top side, between the exhaust manifold and the valve cover. May be hard to see. If no 567 number is found, they're likely 6.2 heads. The final way to tell would be to pull the valve covers and look for the entire cast number, that ends in 567.

For the injectors, there is not a real good way to tell, but here are a few hints. Most 6.2's used a long-body injector, and all 6.5's used a short body injector. The catch is some 6.2 injectors also used the short body used with the 6.5.

Here is an image that Arveetek took of the different body styles of injectors used in our GM engines:

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showpost.php?p=194151&postcount=5

J

brighty
04-26-2009, 21:44
Thanks for the reply.... I've been round to my old man's place and taken a couple of pics showing the numbers.... from what you've described it does appear to have the 6.5 heads as the 567 digits are stamped onto the head... see the below pic.

This pic is of the passenger side head(or your drivers side... left side while sitting in the cab)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/brighty4wd/Chev%20Engine/DSC04958.jpg

and this is the drivers side(your passenger side... right side while sitting in the cab)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/brighty4wd/Chev%20Engine/DSC04959.jpg

All I've got to work out now is if these are 6.2 or 6.5 injectors!!! have a look at the pic and see if you can pick anything that might tell me...
It has "BOSCH 060 Germany 942-5 0430211058" stamped into the side of the injector head if that helps.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/brighty4wd/Chev%20Engine/DSC04954.jpg

All help is VERY appreciated!!!

Brighty.

john8662
04-27-2009, 07:12
For sure 6.2L injector, that's a long-body injector.

brighty
04-27-2009, 21:48
For sure 6.2L injector, that's a long-body injector.

Keeping in mind I have a 6.5 turbo that I'll be bolting up to it in about 12mths time, is it worth me getting 6.5 injectors to match the heads, or stay with the 6.2 injectors??? I'm guessing the 6.5 injectors... but what effect would it have in the mean time until I can get the turbo bolted up??? Would I need to do anything to the timing of it at all???

john8662
04-28-2009, 08:16
What turbo setup, factory turbo hardware off a truck 6.5? You'd want the turbo injectors anyways, because the body size of the injector is smaller, giving you more clearance between the injectors and lines and the exhaust manifold hoding the turbo.

brighty
05-04-2009, 06:15
What turbo setup, factory turbo hardware off a truck 6.5? You'd want the turbo injectors anyways, because the body size of the injector is smaller, giving you more clearance between the injectors and lines and the exhaust manifold hoding the turbo.

From memory it was a centre mount turbo, not sure if factory or not.... did these come out of a van model??? I bought it about 9mths ago and got it sent to my mates place in NY but trying to get him to on-send it to me is proving rather difficult. Apparently it's his new coffee table in his studio appartment!!! Not too sure but I've still got plenty of room to fit it.... if not... I'll start modifying until it fits!!!

So the injectors I'm looking for are a specific type??? the 6.5 turbo ???? And would these be ok to use in the interim until I get it all bolted... once I get it finally at my door from my mates place in NY.

Thanks for all the help... much appreciated!!

john8662
05-04-2009, 07:01
The van turbo will not fit your engine.

It requires the matching heads (hummer or van turbo heads), a block that has the oil gallery and return for the turbo cast into the block, which all 6.2's do not, and only some 6.5's had it (but not machined out yet).

You'd also need the special intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, all the hardware. No way to make this work on an engine originally not equipped.

The only way to turbo is to find and aftermarket turbo setup (ATS, Banks, BAE) that's for a 6.2L, or use the TRUCK 6.5 Turbo setup.

J

brighty
05-04-2009, 09:51
The van turbo will not fit your engine.

It requires the matching heads (hummer or van turbo heads), a block that has the oil gallery and return for the turbo cast into the block, which all 6.2's do not, and only some 6.5's had it (but not machined out yet).

You'd also need the special intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, all the hardware. No way to make this work on an engine originally not equipped.

The only way to turbo is to find and aftermarket turbo setup (ATS, Banks, BAE) that's for a 6.2L, or use the TRUCK 6.5 Turbo setup.

J

Well thats got me stuffed then hasn't it!!! Ohh well, I did get it for a good price and when my mate gets off his butt and ships it over here I'll worry what to do with it then. It was sold to me with both exhaust manifolds & intake manifold to suit + IP & turbo in the one sale, so all is there, but apparently that it just won't bolt up... bugger!!!

So, sorry for more questions BUT.... how do I tell what type of heads I've got.... I know they're 6.5 heads but how do I tell what model they're from??? I'm limited on knowledge in this area of turbo kits.... so please humour me a little.... what does it actually mean that the oil gallery and return aren't on these 6.2 blocks???? Does this mean the turbo would effectively have no oil supply and no way possible of getting it??? If so, how are other type turbo kits setup???

Thanks,
Brighty.

john8662
05-04-2009, 12:06
Basically there is just one casting for the 6.5 Heads, there may be a signication between early and later, but I don't have that information.

The main difference to watch out for is the angle at which the intake manifolds bolt to the head. The truck heads are are tapped at the angle that the intake ports run, these are the normal ones and are shared between 6.2's and 6.5's. The other is for the H1 Hummer and Vans that were turbo'ed in that the intake bolts are set at an angle, I think 60 degrees, so that the bolts are standing straight up and down with the engine installed (heads on it). Besides the tapped holes, they're the same.

Oil drain and return on a 6.2L.

The 6.2 and the 6.5 truck engines are the same as far as turbo drains are concerned, they just use a plate where the fuel lift pump goes. Banks makes a special one that allows the use of the mechanical lift pump and the drain. For oil pressure, you have to make a pressure line that uses the spare oil tap near where the oil filter and oil cooler lines are. Both 6.2's and 6.5's have this extra port, some are larger than otheres though (either 1/4" NPT or 3/8" NPT).

The H1 Hummer and Van block has a casting in the VALLEY of the engine at the rear that the center mount turbo simply bolts to, it's got an oil port and a way to return oil back into the block in that same "petistal". It's just a block GM made to fit a turbo setup in a tight spot, and it's NOT a very good setup anyways.

Hope this answers things.

All the aftermarket turbo setups had provisions for supply and oil return, in the form of a pressure line, and some sort of return (plate, or bung welded to the oil pan above the oil level).

J