PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 onto an engine stand

raunch
04-03-2009, 07:17
Just picked up a complete 6.2 to tinker with a take parts from as needed. A friend is bringing a lift so I can get it off of the trailer today, and I need to put the motor on an engine stand. Things are happening fast, (this all developed last night) and I have to go buy a stand during my lunch hour today, and I want to get the proper bolts to hang the motor from the stand. So anyone know the bolt size and anything else that may come in handy?
Thanks.

Robyn
04-03-2009, 08:11
3/8 coarse thread. just like all the mice a rats of the same age.

Dont fool with a 3 legged stand. a 4 wheel unit it a must. These engines are heavy and will really tax a stand so get a good one rated for 900lbs at least.

I had a cheap one and then beefed it up a lot and added the cross bar in the front to hold two casters instead of the one..

The little ones will handle V6 and small V8 but the 6.2/6.5 are HEAVY engines at near 1000 Pounds fully dressed.

Have fun.

Robyn

raunch
04-03-2009, 08:51
Thanks for that info.

Robyn
04-03-2009, 14:04
:D:D

Youbetcha

Missy

raunch
04-06-2009, 07:05
Got it on the stand this weekend-these motors really are beasts! It strained the #2000 lb stand I have (Harbor Freight though) so much that I put a 4x4 across the front legs and a bottle jack on that to help support the motor.

Bad news is I think that the motor may be in bad shape. I tried to turn it from the 15/16 bolt on the crankshaft pulley. Pulled the glow plugs first and it turned about 1/8th turn and thats all. Oh well, if it is shot there are plenty of other parts on it, and I just may learn a thing or two pulling it all apart.

Robyn
04-06-2009, 07:10
Dont dispair yet.
Get the heads off first before ya panic. Just a little rust in the cylinders from a long time sitting could be the cause.

Have fun.

Robyn

DennisG01
04-06-2009, 11:25
Got it on the stand this weekend-these motors really are beasts! It strained the #2000 lb stand I have (Harbor Freight though) so much that I put a 4x4 across the front legs and a bottle jack on that to help support the motor.

I had my boat engine (Mercruiser/Chevy 350) on a Harbor Freight 1,000lb engine stand recently. Had it there for about 3 months. I was actually surprised at how well it held it. Moved it around my garage quite a lot, too. I was worried at first, as this was the first time I had an engine on a stand. But I got comfortable with it pretty quick. So, long story short, I wouldn't worry too much about the stand. Oh, it did bounce a tad bit, but again - got used to it pretty quick. Figure you're adding about 300lbs to my engine, but you're using a 2,000lb stand.

john8662
04-06-2009, 11:52
Good move on the 2k stand! I own two of those very stands, and the only thing they've had on them is numerous 6.2's and 6.5's. I prefer the 2K version because that way I can feel confortable fully dressing the sucker if necessary, plus I do dearly value my feet and toes.

Just be sure to get yourself some Grade 8 bolts for holding the actual engine though.

J

raunch
04-07-2009, 07:03
Yep, I hung it with grade 8 bolts. The stand sure did flex under all that weight though--hence the bottle jack. Sounds like it's not really needed, but it puts my mind (and my toes) at ease.

As for the rust is the block; hopefully it's that simple. It sure would be nice to have a good block. Who knows, this might turn into a project.......

Robyn
04-07-2009, 08:27
I have had a fully dressed (with all accessories) 6.5 on my stand and it is not very comforting to watch the main post wiggle when the unit is pushed around.

Generally I dont dress these engines fully on the stand.

I have seen one of these laying on the floor with parts bent and broken after a stand failure. NOT pretty AT ALL :eek:

Glad you got a good one for sure.

You can make it loads better with the addition of a larger Gusset on the engine side of the main upright.
Use a piece of 3/16 plate and cut it so it will extend up the post and along the lower beam to a point that the engine will still rotate with the pan on etc.
A little quick welding will make short work of this and you will also sleep better too.

Robyn