PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pump Drive Direction

sykeslw
03-24-2009, 20:27
OK Folks, please don't hammer me for this but I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to with the search function. Which way does the oil pump drive turn looking down at it from the top while standing behind the motor. The engine is on the stand with plugs in the cooler ports and the turbo port. Should I not be able to charge the system to some degree with a drive in a drill motor? Also does anyone know where to find a schematic of the 6.5 oiling system with a description?

Thanks in advance:

john8662
03-24-2009, 23:03
Just make sure the drill you're turning with is set for clockwise rotation. I did this in a chassis recently, works fine. You'll know when you get it primed too, because the pump will bind up a 3/8" chuck drill pretty good when it catches (builds pressure).

How are you going to turn the pump drive rod?

I just used a socket of the appropriate size and an extension and then an adapter for the drill itself, taped up all the joints of the socket and extension, to not drop anything inside the engine.

Most will build a jig out of an old dead vacuum pump stalk from a 6.2L, that way it will truely pressure up the system. I found that even without the drive in you're getting things pretty well lubed up (I had a new pump that wouldn't prime quickly with just the engine running 20 seconds, scary). Been great since (just really dry).

J

rhsub
03-25-2009, 00:11
You need to run a suitable hose between the two oil cooler ports, the oil flows from the pump through the cooler, through oil filter and then to engine components. There is a bypass valve in block thats purpose is to prevent high pressure in oil cooler when oil is really cold.
I believe that engines without the oil cooler do not have the pressure relief valve
These oil coolers are meant to be full flow, not bypass flow
Good luck
Ron

SmithvilleD
03-25-2009, 21:25
The oil gallery that feeds the lifters runs across/around the oil pump drive.

Using the 6.2 oil pump drive/vac pump seals that gallery when it's setting in there. Don't think you'll pressurize the lifter galleys without sealing that opening. I was told you can also use the common brass household sink drain extension in the opening to seal the lifter feed galley.

I hooked up a mechanical gauge as seeing what pressure it builds is reassuring after a build. I rotate the engine a turn or so. I also like to see oil coming out each of the rockers so you know the lifters & valvetrain are all lubing properly.

I wasn't able to find the 6.2 vac pump at the salvage yards so I settled for the 6.5 oil pump drive with speed sensor top (for the automatics). Removed the speed sensor window wheel, etc., to get at the shaft you can chuck a drill to. There's a pic in my photo album from when I primed my engine build.

sykeslw
03-26-2009, 15:29
Folks:

Thanks for the info, put a hose connection between the cooler ports and as said plent of oil. I am in the process of finalizing the assembly, hope to crank this weekend.

I have found great value in the diesel page books, money well spent, and thanks to the effort that it took to create them.

Thanks again.