PDA

View Full Version : How does this sound?

Lightyear
03-24-2009, 06:42
My daily driver Buick is now written off as a total loss, so I've been shopping. Found a 1999 K2500 'Burb with 104K. It's an LT, barn doors, leather, one owner. The seller and CarFax say it's one-owner, lived its whole life in Florida. No dents, rips, or leaks...they're asking $7950. Other than an inspection, is there something else I should be aware of? It sounds like a great truck, but I want to be sure.

Thanks all!

DennisG01
03-24-2009, 08:42
Sounds really good - price seems MORE than fair. Can you go see it in person? Put your hand over the oil fill for a few seconds (with cap removed) while the engine is running. Your hand should be clean after you remove it. Drive it and make sure the TC locks and stays locked. Crawl underneath. You know, give it a good look. Even if there's some minor things wrong, that's still a good price.

Lightyear
03-24-2009, 11:05
Good points, not sure I would have remembered about the oil filler test. The usual sources range from $6725 to $9645, so I most likely will go and give it a look.

Locomoko
03-24-2009, 15:13
OK here is something to look at...

Some states do not require a salvaged vehicle to be reported to DMV as salvaged, so a rebuilder/dealer could sell a vehicle that was previously totaled/flooded etc. just as though nothing had happened, and I don't think Carfax would pick it up unless it was reported by DMV.

If I am not mistaken I think Florida is one of those states, check it out, because of the old addage, "buyer beware". ;)

rustyk
03-25-2009, 17:33
Florida does require the vehicle to have a "salvage" title. However, the Burb could've been wrecked/rebuilt in another state.

Lightyear
03-27-2009, 05:28
Well, we're flying down to look at it tomorrow. One of my cube-mates' brother-in-law is the service director at an independent shop, and he's offered to give the once over. He has a '96 K2500, so he can at least recognize a 6.5 at ten paces. If all goes well, we'll drive it home Saturday night. More to follow, and thanks all for the tips.

DennisG01
03-27-2009, 06:21
Good luck! Give it a good shake, rattle and roll!

To infinity and beyond!!!!

Lightyear
03-27-2009, 06:37
Hey...that's my line!

DennisG01
03-27-2009, 08:37
Hey...that's my line!

:p

1234567890 (gotta respond to a post what at least 10 characters... wait, I just used 71) :confused:

Lightyear
03-30-2009, 07:38
Well, I did it. Bought that '99. Initial indications are good. Minor stuff to do, such as alignment, front rotors, front heater core, but I like it, the missus likes it, and most important...my dog likes it. More to follow...

rustyk
03-30-2009, 17:59
...most important...my dog likes it. More to follow...

I can relate, since my dogs own the motorhome, and let me use it...my male Golden Retriever is my relief driver. But only on Interstates - I let him drive down a state highway; a rabbit ran across the road, and I had to get the MH pulled from a cornfield...:D

Lightyear
03-31-2009, 04:48
But as a responsible dog owner, he has his leash on while driving I'm sure ;-)

DickWells
03-31-2009, 07:40
Congrats, you'll love it! I just couldn't bring myself to part with the 95, back when we sold our home and went full-time. Keep it at our son's place and run it every summer. Jean decided to sell her 98 Astro AWD, rather than hear me bawl any more, when we down sized one car!
Am I right, guys, and gals, that the 99 had an up-graded block and or crank? If so, you're in better shape, right from the start. I've never had an internal engine problem with the 95, but wouldn't want to dismiss the advantage of owning a later model with better internals. One of the first things I did, was to put the dual T-stat 97+ up-grade in. The Burb is still the fastest warm-up car I've ever had. Throws warm air within two minutes, and hot air by five miles!
Got yourself a good-un, I expect.
DW:)

Lightyear
03-31-2009, 12:42
Yeah, the drive home was smooth. After a new set of rear rubber, front alignment, front rotors, this beast will be incredible. It rode like a Cadillac...think I'm gonna be really spoiled.

rustyk
03-31-2009, 17:22
But as a responsible dog owner, he has his leash on while driving I'm sure ;-)

He wears a six-point harness, and for reasons he won't disclose, a parachute and life jacket ;)

bl78ljb
03-31-2009, 18:24
You didn't say where you live, but if the 'burb was from an area in FL where there is little salt you will want to PROTECT the rear AC lines with a regular application of some anticorrosive (WD-40, silikroil etc) as the rear lines run by the right rear tire and WILL corrode over time and are $$$ to fix. Unless of course you live someplace warm and dry (didn't see you mention where you are from). One you decide to modify it and open the intake / exhaust you will really notice a difference in performance and mileage but don't do anything else w/o guages. Also on the rubber department despite what everyone will tell you go with the load range E tires as the constant weight of the 'burb will wear out the C rated tires much faster - yes you will never tow the weight of a 3500 drw but empty there is no weight on their rear tires - been there done that. Enjoy your truck the diesel 'burb is a great vehicle and you may get comments from "soccer dads" like "I didn't know they came in a diesel" with a look of envy. :D

Lightyear
04-01-2009, 06:51
I live just north of Atlanta so road gunk won't be a problem, but I will treat the rear AC lines like gold. They look good so far. There isn't any rust on the underside that I can see. The truck lived its whole life in the Tampa area. It's clean with no paint fading or dash cracks, either. I'm happy so far.
EGT and boost gauges are in the plan, as is the dual t-stat mod and relocating the FSD. Beyond that, I just plan to enjoy my new daily driver. I got tired of getting run over in the Buick. Now we'll see who's the bug and who's the windshield. haha.

DennisG01
04-01-2009, 08:04
You already have the dual T-stat - started in '97. Don't relocate your PMD/FSD just yet. You're still covered by the original 11 year/120,000 mile warranty. Just make sure you keep your fuel in good condition and change your fuel filter.

Although, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a spare PMD on board. You could buy the relocation kit and then just keep it as your spare until your warranty runs out.

Lightyear
04-01-2009, 08:56
11 years/120K? Wow. That means I'm really okay, since the IP was replaced in 2003 at 48K.

DennisG01
04-01-2009, 10:12
11 years/120K? Wow. That means I'm really okay, since the IP was replaced in 2003 at 48K.

No such luck - 11 years from original date of service. Sorry!

JohnC
04-01-2009, 11:53
No such luck - 11 years from original date of service. Sorry!

If it's a '99 he should still be OK.

DennisG01
04-01-2009, 12:17
If it's a '99 he should still be OK.

I meant in response to his replacement in '03. Meaning the warranty is up in 2010, not 2014 (or of course based on mileage).