PDA

View Full Version : Electronic 6.5L TD Power Project - Part II

More Power
09-07-2005, 08:27
Electronic 6.5L TD Power Project (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/schoolcraft2.htm)
Part II
Building a more durable and more powerful engine.
By Ronald J. Schoolcraft

18:1 pistons, splayed main caps, and balancing & blueprinting allow for a more powerful and more durable 6.5L TD engine. Follow along as we show you the improvements incorporated into the engine shortblock.

AndyL
09-07-2005, 16:15
RJ, excellent!

When does it hit the rollers again?

Any future modification ideas or plans?

Marty Lau
09-08-2005, 06:38
Ron;

Thanks for the great story. I read it over quickly now I need to sit down with it and spend sometime to digest all the thermodynamics. It should appeal to all the novice and the technonerds as well.

Cowracer
09-08-2005, 08:42
Originally posted by 16ga SxS:
Ron;

Thanks for the great story. I read it over quickly now I need to sit down with it and spend sometime to digest all the thermodynamics. It should appeal to all the novice and the technonerds as well. What if you are a novice techno-nerd? :D

Great write-up RJ. That info should be considered the holy text of the right way to build a 6.5.

Tim

trbankii
09-08-2005, 11:17
Definite kudos for the article. I have to go back and read it in more detail. I'm planning on opening up my new (to me) 6.5 to see where it stands now. Your articles have given me a good roadmap of where to go from here!

Billman
09-08-2005, 12:20
As stated above RJ, Well Done. I will be referencing this material in the near future.

Now tell us about your Turbo R&D...

markrinker
09-08-2005, 13:39
No need to rush a good thing. Looks like a great, bullet-proof motor coming together!

How much boost do you foresee runing with the lower compression ratio and better internal parts? Did you arrive at this number mathmatically, or will you wait and determine optimal boost on a dyno, while towing, or both?

rjschoolcraft
09-08-2005, 17:04
Thanks all for the nice comments!

It will hit the rollers again, but not for a while. I plan to wait until at least 10,000 miles are on it to ensure good break-in.

I am deeply involved in turbo research and am making good progress. In fact, I'll probably end up developing a couple of different kits for the aftermarket when this is all through.

At present, I'm still running the Schwitzer that I installed at last year's Rendezvous. It is clearly a limiter now.

Based on compressor maps and other performance calculations, I'm looking to run in the neighborhood of 25 psi across a broad rpm range. There are a couple of turbos out there that match this engine and that requirement nicely. I just need to do some adaptation to make them work.

Stay tuned...

trbankii
09-09-2005, 03:11
Guess that means there will be a Part III? smile.gif

rjschoolcraft
09-09-2005, 03:39
Part III is in process now. It will cover the assembly of the engine.

Andy Chesek
09-09-2005, 04:08
ronniejoe,

In another post you stated you were going to purchase a high-output DS4 injection pump from Wester's. Did you ultimately do just that, or did anything happen since that early May post which may have changed your mind?

trbankii
09-09-2005, 06:18
Originally posted by ronniejoe:
Part III is in process now. It will cover the assembly of the engine. Man, this is better than waiting for the summer blockbusters!

rjschoolcraft
10-03-2005, 08:11
Originally posted by 93_Burrito:
ronniejoe,

In another post you stated you were going to purchase a high-output DS4 injection pump from Wester's. Did you ultimately do just that, or did anything happen since that early May post which may have changed your mind? At this point, I have not. However, it seems that there are ways to get that output without plunking down that kind of cash...

I need more air first anyway.

AndyL
10-03-2005, 14:31
[/qb][/QUOTE]At this point, I have not. However, it seems that there are ways to get that output without plunking down that kind of cash...

I need more air first anyway. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Can you do more with less or is there another way to increase the fuel output?