PDA

View Full Version : AC Pulley Question

Steelkilt
03-14-2009, 20:50
A block from my house tonight the bearings seized and the pulley stopped moving on my AC compressor. I made it home but the truck is not driveable as the belt won't function. Does anyone have information on the process for replacing this pulley or bearing?

DmaxMaverick
03-14-2009, 22:51
The bearing can be replaced. You'll need a puller (specific to the compressor pulley, but also works with other pulleys). The bearings are cheap, but vary depending on compressor model. OEM's are different, and aftermarkets are anyone's guess. They weren't intended to be consumer-level replaced, but can be without too much hassle.

Depending on how the bearing failed, they can ruin the clutch winding if it ran out-of-true for any length of time. You will be able to see any damage, once disassembled.

You can purchase the clutch/pulley as an assy. You will still need a puller. Any auto parts store that has a tool lone program will have one. Or, you can buy a good one for about $25, or at Harbor Freight for about $10. They both work.

Steelkilt
03-15-2009, 06:07
Thanks. Judging on the way the pulley is sitting, I'm certain the clutch will need replacing as well. Sounds like it would make sense to get the clutch/pulley assembly. Can I do this with the compressor in the vehicle? Is there any step-by-step guide on doing this? Too bad, the belt was only a couple of months old.

DmaxMaverick
03-15-2009, 07:44
It can be done on the engine. Actually, I prefer to do it this way, as long as the compressor and rest of the HVAC is healthy. Otherwise, the system will need to be evacuated, compressor R/R, then serviced after.

How you do it will depend on which compressor/clutch you have installed. There should be detailed instructions included with the puller. It also serves as an installer. IIRC, there are about 4 possible assy's, and 2 puller options.

Once you get the puller, inspect everything very carefully. Determine the depth of damage, and replace what's needed. You may get off easy with just a bearing, or may need the entire works ahead of the compressor. If the clutch winding assy appears to have no, or very slight damage, test it before replacing.

I've had better results replacing the bearing from a local bearing warehouse (Ag/industrial supply type store). Take what's left of the bearing with you, tell them what you are using it for, and they'll match it with what's best, by either the stamped number, or (if the number can't be found) by measuring it. The difference I've found is, the bearings are usually higher quality, and much less expensive ($10 for the bearing, vs. about $35-50 at the dealer).

If you replace the pulley, be sure to measure it, and get the same size. 4.2 or 5.5", IIRC. Either way, just measure the diameter and get the same.

Napa or Autozone should be able to source all the parts you need. Your best bet would be to have an HVAC specialty shop do it. They are usually not too expensive, and can do the whole job in less than 1/2 an hour, and should have all the tools and parts (minus the belt-buy one and bring it) in stock. If the damage appears to be extensive, the HVAC shop is often the best option. They'll replace what's necessary, and test the system.

Robyn
03-15-2009, 08:38
Make sure the clutch plate will turn and that the compressor is not locked too.
If the compressor is locked then its of little use to bother removing the clutch.

As Maverick mentioned, these clutches are not tough to get off.

The armature can aslo be replaced too if need be as it fastens to the front of the compressor.

Good luck

Robyn

Steelkilt
03-15-2009, 12:54
Thanks guys. I think for peace of mind i'm going to replace the compressor. I can get one today for just over $200 with the clutch/pulley attached. After all it has 10 years and 165K on it. And I can put it on tonight after the kids are in bed. Which means I'll be able to put a belt on so my wife will be able to drive the truck w/out interruption or disruption this week. (She claimed it as hers for driving kids around a week after I brought it home last fall. And here I thought it would just be a good tow vehicle.) I'm on the road this week so I'll just keep the new compressor unplugged until I get back. When something like this happens it's about logistics and schedule disruption as much as anything else, especially on a sunday. Then I'll replace the dryer, etc as well next week, R&R the whole system. Probably take it to a specialty shop, at least for recharging.

Robyn
03-16-2009, 08:27
Probably a very good plan.

When you replace the accumulator, dont forget to add some oil to it to make up the volume that soaks into the desicant/filter.
Parts stores carry this stuff in small bottles.

To get the thing evacuated and recharged is no biggy.

R134A is easy to come by and cheap.

The cost to test and recharge should be quite affordable.

Be sure you leave the electrical plug on the compressor unplugged until its recharged. The low pressure switch on the accumulator should stop the clutch from engageing BUTTTTTTTTT. :)

Best

RC

HammerWerf
03-19-2009, 10:56
Steel,

The A/C compressor you have on you vehicle should be a Delphi HT-6. If you haven't gotten started, check the underside, and/or the middle seam of the compressor for oil leakage/ dust buildup. This design is know to leak in that area. called belly leaks. I had mine doing that. Replacement is the best solution, as corrossion is happening in that o-ringed joint.

Check out the forum at:

http://www.ackits.com/

generally good reading. The site also has pictures of the various products they sell, and there are now a couple of aftermarket replacements for the HT-6.

HammerWerf