PDA

View Full Version : Hard stops

DaveBr
03-14-2009, 18:45
Noticed recently that the old girl getting harder to stop. I have to apply a lot more pressure on the pedal than I used to. Had a complete front & rear brake job 30k ago. Pedal is not soggy and does not go down like it is by - passing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

a5150nut
03-15-2009, 10:42
Have you put on larger tires recently?

How are your rear axel seals holding up?

NutNbutGMC
03-15-2009, 12:31
Booster.....?

JohnC
03-16-2009, 13:55
Check the disks for corrosion, especially the back side. A 1/2" wide band on the outer edge of the disk can take almost half your swept area away.

DaveBr
03-16-2009, 16:42
I'm running stock tires and changed axle seals at brake job. My limited experience with boosters is to far in the past to remember the symptoms. I will pull the wheels and have a gawk to see if I can find anything visually out of order. I will keep you posted.

Dave

Subzilla
03-17-2009, 05:29
Rear drums probably need to be tightened up as the brake adjusters may or may not work like they're designed to do. They're suppose to self-adjust when you hit the brakes while in reverse. Usually it takes quite some speed in reverse with a hard slamming of the brake pedal to make these things really work. Repeat this a few times and you should get your brakes back. Or you can adjust by hand if you want.

DaveBr
03-22-2009, 16:30
Ok - Rotated my tires and had a look at the front pads. Everything looks normal. I adjusted the rear brakes and can feel a slight increase in braking but not as good as it should be. I'm thinking the master cyl. is OK so I'm thinking hydra boost. Is there any way I can test this as I don't want to start throwing parts at it for nothing.