PDA

View Full Version : At Dealer Now...Failed IP

EscaladeDiesel
04-12-2005, 21:30
Hello All....After continued driving, the Suburban finally ran out of power. It had been gradually loosing power, sorta thought it was the turbo as I dont here the whine like I used to. Up until last week it continued to have the loud rapping. One evening last week when I started it, the rapping was gone, and it sounded like it used to, unfortunately along with the rapping went the power. While driving home, the check engine light came on for a bit then off. My AutoPC computer/navigation system said the code was for the IP. Took to the local dealer yesterday. They left a message today saying the IP will arrive Friday, they didn't mention warranty or not.
*****QUESTIONS*****
1. Will the Dealer, or should the Dealer replace the FSD along with the PCM under warranty?
2. Should I have the injectors replaced at this time so all is fresh?
3. What else should I have done or checked while at the dealer?

Thanks, Chris

ace58
04-13-2005, 02:04
In my experience with a local dealer, they would not change a FSD module only. The part comes up as an IP, complete with FSD. Also, a replacement was only completed if the PCM had tripped a code or showed history of problems. They did honor the 11 year 120K warranty without any grief, or a huge bill.

Injector replacement would be a good idea, depending on mileage and a lift pump because if lift pump fails, it could affect the new IP. Air and fuel filters, and check the serpentine belt. Good luck.

JeffsTowTruck
04-13-2005, 03:15
I WOULD BE ASKING THE DEALER ABOUT THE WARRANTY FIRST... :confused:
BEFORE I GAVE THEM A BLANK CHECK..

rjschoolcraft
04-13-2005, 03:42
The injector nozzles and lift pump will not be covered under the IP warranty. When my engine was replaced under warranty at 65,000 miles, they reused all the externals (injector nozzles, IP, water pump, etc.).

If you have more than 100,000 miles on the nozzles, you should probably have them changed. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

EscaladeDiesel
04-13-2005, 20:14
The IP is being replaced under warranty. They said the injectors seemed fine, but if I wanted to replace them it would be $1100. Isn't that a bit steep?

nopower65
04-17-2005, 16:59
$1100 for injectors? While putting a new IP in? I bought my injectors for about $300, and put them in myself. Biggest part of the job was getting the turbo off (right tool for every job, but never the tools you need in your tool box).

Took me about a day, without ever having tried such a task before.
You have to make the judgement call if that's a wise use of time vs. cash

EscaladeDiesel
04-18-2005, 04:27
Yeah, I choose to try it myself and save a few $$ too.