PDA

View Full Version : fuel priming

chief4101
03-11-2009, 09:19
ok i put a set of heads on my 93 6.2l. all is well till i tried to prime the injectors. i got fuel to the filter, through the filter, and to the injection pump but as of yet havent been able to get it to the injectors. what i did was leave the fittings loose on the injectors and crank the engine. we cranked till bothe batteries are dead. i have worked on a lot of 6.9 and 7.3 but this is my first chevy. am i doing somthing wrong or is there a secret that i dont know? i have read about a hand pump does mine have it and if so where is it? thanks kevin

john8662
03-11-2009, 19:17
No hand pump.

It takes around 3-4 good long cranks once fuel is up to the injection pump to get fuel weeping, then it's pretty easy to get it to fire and run once you tighten the lines.

At least you've got one of the easier to prime ones, the 82-83 ones are a big time pita, but I cheat, I use my "check for air leaks in lines" adapter (shrader valve in fuel cap) to get those suckers primed (since I have 2 of em).

J

arveetek
03-13-2009, 11:58
Are you sure the fuel cut-off solenoid is working on the injection pump? When you turn the ignition on, it energizes the solenoid and allows fuel to flow out of the IP towards the injectors. With the key on, remove the wire (top front spade on IP), and then reattach it. You should be able to hear a small 'click' when the solenoid opens and closes.

Casey