PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Timing Gear Photos

damork
01-23-2004, 09:11
Just in case anyone is interested, here's a link to some photos I took while updating my timing chain to gears and going to the new water pump / fan.

http://community.webshots.com/album/42727688JuUMeK

HowieE
01-23-2004, 13:19
OK. I keep a clean engine on the outside, but whay did you do to clean the inside?

Barry Nave
01-23-2004, 19:30
Nice photo,that EGR look's like a PITH :D

gmctd
01-24-2004, 06:00
For those who've never been into a Diesel engine, if it's been serviced regularly, it takes a really hard look to distinguish the innards from new, unused parts.
Paint-color designations and rubber stamped ink numbers do not deteriorate in appearance.
Wipe the black engine oil off any part - it will look new.

Different combustion residues than gasoline.

Nice job, Damork

scotts
01-24-2004, 08:21
Damork, have you noticed any diff in the engine temp when hauling since the cooling upgrade? Also, are the timing gears worth it?

Barry Nave
01-24-2004, 20:20
Timing gears are a BIG plus.
You would have to try it to really know.
Some how I think it's olso a pump saver.
Pump run's so true with out being wiped around as a worn chain would do smile.gif

damork
01-26-2004, 09:32
All,
I didn't do anything special for cleaning the inside. Oil changes have been 3000 miles since new, or close to that as possible.

The biggest part of the cleanup was getting the anaerobic and silicone off the timing cover. I used Permatex gasket remover for the anaerobic sealer and acetone for the silicone, along with several razor blades. I kept the area by the pan/crank stuffed with towels to keep the junk out and used a shop vac to help pull the junk out of holes. I ran a tap through every threaded hole and a die over every bolt before going back together.

As far as operating temp, it would be hard to tell if the gears alone made any change as I did the HO water pump at the same time. I'm usually running a pretty steady 180 (with dual Robertshaw thermostats), but I ran loaded in some summer heat (95F) and reached 195.

I drive by the gauges a lot and noticed the boost levels actually dropped a little on similar loads. This makes sense as boost usually climbs as cam timing retards, so adding the gears means less boost is needed to do the same work.

I think this winter has proven the real value in the gears. Starting down to -5F has been a real eye opener as it no longer wheezes and chugs after startup and the only change has been due to the gears. I run Delvac 1 synthetic in it and have never plugged it in yet this winter. The pump and injectors were not changed when I did the gears. When cold like this it will start and misfire a couple seconds, then it levels out right away. It never did that with the old timing chain.