PDA

View Full Version : pmd removal

motown
03-10-2009, 19:39
is there a way to get it off without removeing the intake

DmaxMaverick
03-11-2009, 00:29
Yes. But, a better option is to not bother with it, and install an aftermarket FSD/heat sink with an extension harness. If your replacement ever fails, your original PMD will be as it was. If it works now, even sometimes, it will always be there to get you home. If it's failed, there's no reason to R/R it, IMO.

If you insist on removing it, you'll need to fabricate a tool. Not difficult, but does require intricate welding. A torx bit and a tool handle is all that's needed. Cut the torx bit about 1/8" from the taper, then weld it to a flat wrench-like handle at a right angle. It works best if the handle is drilled to accept the bit, and it's welded from the backside (opposite the bit end). For the handle, you can use any end wrench (sacrificed), or flat steel of that size. I don't have one of my own (I'd leave the PMD where it is, but that's just me), but I've assisted many others with this.

Robyn
03-11-2009, 07:26
My advice

Leave the old wretch right where it is.
Buy a new PMD, remote cooler and extension harness to get the beast out of the engine bay and into cool air.

Purchase a number 5 resistor as it will work with most setups. ( unless you know which one was installed in the PMD that is on the rig)

Removal is far too time consuming and will serve absolutely no use.

The plug can be released from the PMD with a little fiddling and slid off and the harness fished out from the area so you can connect the extension.

Best

Robyn

DickWells
03-11-2009, 08:45
Good advise, that. I left mine where it was and made my own extension, too. If you've got time, it's the cheap way to go. Mounted mine to a great big extruded aluminum heat-sink, behind the driver's side headlight. I soon learned that this location works great, but you need to block off the hot air coming from the left radiator side, through in front of the battery. Just block it off with foam, like you would with a cold air filter against the hood. Makes a world of difference with how hot the FSD gets during a hot towing run.
I made the extension out of the right color wires, one size larger than stock. I soldered the splices and even potted the junction with epoxy, using a little wooden match box lined with foil. Never had another FSD failure.
Good luck.
DW:)